Thread: Kernel 3.11 + radeon.dpm=1 results in extremely slow performance

Hybrid View

Default Kernel 3.11 + radeon.dpm=1 results in extremely slow performance

Hi, any help here? I tried the radeon driver once again today (I have dual screen so I still suffer from the loud fan bug and generally use catalyst). However, after I heard that the radeon driver is at par with catalyst I tried it again today. Everything seemed to be slw as molasses, the gnome 3 menu looks like a slideshow being opened, flightgear gives 1 FPS, I kid you not!! (70 FPS on catalyst) and you should have listed to the fan! It sounded like a jet engine, especially when the aircraft is about to take off!! Youtube videos look like they were made in powerpoint.

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong? I did check with dmesg, and dpm was on. The power level was at 0, but I forced it to "high" (level 2). That didnt help as well.
    Last edited by xtachx; 09-22-2013 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    Hi, any help here? I tried the radeon driver once again today (I have dual screen so I still suffer from the loud fan bug and generally use catalyst). However, after I heard that the radeon driver is at par with catalyst I tried it again today. Everything seemed to be slw as molasses, the gnome 3 menu looks like a slideshow being opened, flightgear gives 1 FPS, I kid you not!! (70 FPS on catalyst) and you should have listed to the fan! It sounded like a jet engine, especially when the aircraft is about to take off!! Youtube videos look like they were made in powerpoint.

Any ideas as to what could be going wrong? I did check with dmesg, and dpm was on. The power level was at 0, but I forced it to "high" (level 2). That didnt help as well.
    What version of mesa are you using? What graphics card do you have?

Post the output of "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" it might be that it's using software rendering for some reason.

1 FPS = software rendering

Which distro are you on? In addition to the 3.11 kernel you need up-to-date Mesa and radeon Xorg driver

Quote Originally Posted by Azultra View Post

Which distro are you on? In addition to the 3.11 kernel you need up-to-date Mesa and radeon Xorg driver
    Using Fedora 19. My order of operations were:

1. Boot kernel 3.11 in runlevel 3
    2. remove catalyst
    3. reinstall mesa
    4. change the boot params in grub2.cfg and add radeon.dpm=1
    5. reboot

I will reboot and try again

Quote Originally Posted by Azultra View Post

You were right. I reinstalled everything from scratch again and this time, its 40 FPS. Much better!! Now only if the loud fan is fixed :-)

So I installed mesa-libGL, x11-xorg-drv-ati, and removed catalyst. Is that all or do I have to install something else? Oh I did add the radeon.dpm=1 at grub commandline.

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    What version of mesa are you using? What graphics card do you have?

Post the output of "glxinfo | grep OpenGL" it might be that it's using software rendering for some reason.
    glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD JUNIPER
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.0
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.0
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:

dmesg | grep dpm
    [ 19.932029] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized

dmesg | grep drm

[ 19.184251] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
    [ 19.205212] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
    [ 19.205426] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (JUNIPER 0x1002:0x68B8 0x174B:0xE160).

------------------------

Well everything works now except flash on youtube. It just draws a blank! Any ideas?
    Last edited by xtachx; 09-22-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Have you set

VDPAU_DRIVER=r600
    LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau

as environment variable?

Quote Originally Posted by ObiWan View Post
    Have you set

VDPAU_DRIVER=r600
    LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau

as environment variable?
    Yes I have, I have this in my bashrc:

export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=vdpau
    export VDPAU_DRIVER=r600

Flash still fails and youtube videos do not play. Additionally, if I start VLC with this param:

vlc --ffmpeg-hw -v

I get this error when a video plays:

[0x7f5ca4c45a98] avcodec decoder warning: threaded frame decoding is not compatible with ffmpeg-hw, disabled
    [0x7f5ca4c45a98] avcodec decoder warning: threaded slice decoding is not compatible with ffmpeg-hw, disabled

Edit: I have got youtube to work. I dont know what I did. However, I am not sure if it works correctly. When i right click on the video and click "stats for nerds

accelerated video rendering, software video decoding.

Should the decoding AND the rendering be hardware?
    Last edited by xtachx; 09-22-2013 at 04:42 PM.