Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Announces "Steam Machines"

Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    No, but the price for PS4 and XB1 should also cover the investments MS and Sony make on their OSes, whereas Steam is picking up a free OS. Also, the use of commodity hardware should help reduce the price.
    MS and Sony sell their boxes at a massive loss. There's no way a Steam Machine is going to compete on price.

It's amazing to see that many Linux users now think that Valve actually owes them something that they didn't know existed 3 days ago...

Based on the icons I would think Friday's announcement would be software-related. SteamOS + integration w/ another OS (Android?)? SteamOS + Source 2? SteamOS + a game?

If it's a controller announcement I'll hang myself. A controller doesn't even garner a press release.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    MS and Sony sell their boxes at a massive loss. There's no way a Steam Machine is going to compete on price.
    Didn't they mention that this gen they won't be making a loss on the consoles?

Quote Originally Posted by BreezeDM View Post
    Nice catch!

Quote Originally Posted by BreezeDM View Post
    Great find !

I see what they are doing...they married a gamepad with a trackball that will do the the work of a mouse as a precision aiming device !

Not only that but it's modular making it possible to modify if you play mainly racing cars games for example, well done Valve !

Right now AMD is showing the nextgen Radeon GPUs live at their event.

Word is going around that they will announce drastically improved AMD Linux drivers later during the event. That would be within the next hour or so.

http://www.livestream.com/newchannel...=amdlivestream

My body is ready!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    This suggests there will be Intel (without additional graphic card) configurations as well: Other boxes will optimize for size, price, quietness, or other factors.
    If valve go with any INTEL gpu they will be the laughing stock of the gaming world.

nVidia hyping Valve, Linux and SteamOS: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/09...r-living-room/