Thread: 4-Way Nouveau Benchmarks On Linux 3.12, Mesa 9.3

Default 4-Way Nouveau Benchmarks On Linux 3.12, Mesa 9.3

Phoronix: 4-Way Nouveau Benchmarks On Linux 3.12, Mesa 9.3

Earlier this week on Phoronix were the results of an 11-way AMD Radeon GPU comparison using the Linux 3.12 kernel and Mesa 9.3-devel. Coming out today are the results for a four-way NVIDIA GeForce graphics card comparison using the Nouveau driver on Linux 3.12 / Mesa 9.3-devel. Sadly, this comparison is smaller than the open-source Radeon comparison since the reverse-engineered Nouveau driver was very buggy in its current configuration.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19147

How bad is this re-clocking issue to resolve? This issue has been going on for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    How bad is this re-clocking issue to resolve? This issue has been going on for a while now.
    well it took AMD's own developers a relatively long time to fix it on their own hardware. I don't expect a bunch of volunteers who have to reverse-engineer everything to accomplish it any time soon.

Personally what I would find interesting is how the tests would compare to the proprietary drivers if the GPUs were set to their lowest clock setting. That would get us a good impression on how close the nouveau devs are in terms of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    well it took AMD's own developers a relatively long time to fix it on their own hardware. I don't expect a bunch of volunteers who have to reverse-engineer everything to accomplish it any time soon.

Personally what I would find interesting is how the tests would compare to the proprietary drivers if the GPUs were set to their lowest clock setting. That would get us a good impression on how close the nouveau devs are in terms of performance.
    Michael actually did that last year, showing that in most cases the Nouveau-driver matched the proprietary driver clock for clock.
    I believe this is one of many reasons that some of the first documentation that Nouveau-devs asked for after Ritgers announcement, was power management and clock, but the reply was that that was probably some of the 'more difficult areas' for them to address.

Edit:
    It would be interesting with a new one though
    Here's the article:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_clocks&num=1
    Last edited by UraniumDeer; 09-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UraniumDeer View Post
    Michael actually did that last year, showing that in most cases the Nouveau-driver matched the proprietary driver clock for clock.
    I believe this is one of many reasons that some of the first documentation that Nouveau-devs asked for after Ritgers announcement, was power management and clock, but the reply was that that was probably some of the 'more difficult areas' for them to address.

Edit:
    It would be interesting with a new one though
    Here's the article:
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...u_clocks&num=1
    Ah yes, I forgot about that one. But it'd be nice to see if newer hardware has gained any advantages.