Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wwise Engine Being Ported To Linux, SteamOS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,465

    Default Wwise Engine Being Ported To Linux, SteamOS

    Phoronix: Wwise Engine Being Ported To Linux, SteamOS

    The Audiokinetic Wwise engine middleware will be ported to Linux thanks to Valve's SteamOS...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3MjA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Hopefully this means we may some day see a native port of LIMBO finally. I've been wanting to play that on Steam for ages now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    "Steam OS Rise's" and soon conquer the WORLD!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    168

    Default

    For years now, things have been building up for Linux. First, Android co-opted Linux and left the traditional stack in the dust, becoming wildly successful. Now we get a true representation of Linux's familiar power, and it will be in consumers' hands.

    Developments like these will both help us improve Linux throughout the stack, as well as allow developers to become acquainted with just how easy Linux is to work with on a technical level.

    I'm definitely excited to see more developments like this, and I doubt they're going to stop any time soon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scionicspectre View Post
    For years now, things have been building up for Linux. First, Android co-opted Linux and left the traditional stack in the dust, becoming wildly successful. Now we get a true representation of Linux's familiar power, and it will be in consumers' hands.

    Developments like these will both help us improve Linux throughout the stack, as well as allow developers to become acquainted with just how easy Linux is to work with on a technical level.

    I'm definitely excited to see more developments like this, and I doubt they're going to stop any time soon.
    Also Redhat and Nvidia teamed up to Make the GPUs work even better on Linux

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanS View Post
    Hopefully this means we may some day see a native port of LIMBO finally. I've been wanting to play that on Steam for ages now.
    It also mean we might possibly get underground thing (/s), like Saint Row 3 (not sure about 4, but due to reused asset, quite probable it's using it), Batman: Arkham City, half of Assassin's Creed series, EVE online...

    Wwise quite a widely used sound engine.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Outthere, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    231

    Default

    So this is just a more betterer version of what RADGametools used to do with their Miles audio, Bink video etc? Cross-platform.

    And this Wwise stuff paves the way for easier porting to existing and soon to be coming games for a possible Linux/OS X (OGL) port, then?


    **Speeling Alert!**
    Also, it's Rome II (not Rom II)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Also Redhat and Nvidia teamed up to Make the GPUs work even better on Linux
    Are they fixing optimus and power management?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Also Redhat and Nvidia teamed up to create an HSA-like solution for Linux
    I fixed that for you :P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •