Thread: Phoronix Pre-Birthday Premium Deal

Default Phoronix Pre-Birthday Premium Deal

Phoronix: Phoronix Pre-Birthday Premium Deal

With Phoronix.com turning four years old in about two and a half months, we're offering a pre-birthday deal for new Phoronix Premium subscribers. We've dramatically lowered the subscription rates for this deal where you can be a premium subscriber for only $2.50 USD per month...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjQwNA

Signed. :-)

I've become "premium" a few days ago now for one year, and the ad-freeness works, as long as I visit the phoronix forums BEFORE I visit the actual phoronix.com site - is this intended? It's kinda annoying, since I do not necessarily take a look into the forums every day...

Thanks for letting me know

Quote Originally Posted by colo View Post
    I've become "premium" a few days ago now for one year, and the ad-freeness works, as long as I visit the phoronix forums BEFORE I visit the actual phoronix.com site - is this intended? It's kinda annoying, since I do not necessarily take a look into the forums every day...

Thanks for letting me know

colo: If you hit stay logged in from the forums and whatever your browser settings are, it should keep you logged in.
    Basically if you're logged into the forums you'll have the ad-free everywhere, as in the PHXCMS content management system it depends upon that _session being there created by vBulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    colo: If you hit stay logged in from the forums and whatever your browser settings are, it should keep you logged in.
    Basically if you're logged into the forums you'll have the ad-free everywhere, as in the PHXCMS content management system it depends upon that _session being there created by vBulletin.
    Thanks, that worked!

Nope, doesn't work. I'm auto-logged in to the forums by cookie, but ads still display on www.phoronix.com if I surf there directly, without hitting the forums first. (The hostname I use for accessing the forums is also www.phoronix.com, so that should not pose a problem.) Browser used:
    Konqueror 3.5.9

Any other info you might need to dig into the problem, Michael? Might be some obscure bug in the site's software?

Kind regards,
    - colo

Hmm I'll look into it and PM you today or tomorrow.

No hurry - and thanks for caring

Browser does not seem to make much of a difference btw, just tried it with Firefox 3.0b4; same results there.

Same here. vBulletin identifies me as logged in, but if I go directly to the website, without visiting the forums first, ads and sponsored links are still shown. I'm guessing this problem is somehow related to the fact that my IP address changes frequently, so the subscriber-detection mechanism shouldn't rely on it.