Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Will Not Use XMir By Default

Default Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Will Not Use XMir By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop Will Not Use XMir By Default

While the Ubuntu 13.10 desktop was expected to ship with Mir/XMir by default for supported configurations, this is no longer going to happen. Ubuntu developers conceded today that Mir/XMir isn't ready for desktop configurations when Ubuntu 13.10 ships later this month...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3NDQ

grabs popcorn

I expected this. Just as I expect they won't be ready for Mir in 14.04 like they've been saying either.

This is great news. The latest Mir/XMir builds finally ran without big issues for me but it was still using the software cursor which was slightly slower and my low-end notebook seemed to have minor performance issues. They can sort it out now for the next release and we don't lose out on anything anyway. Ubuntu 13.10 will be a great release!

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    I expected this. Just as I expect they won't be ready for Mir in 14.04 like they've been saying either.
    This is what I don't get. If Mir needs extra time and they really want it in for the LTS, why not simply push back the date and have 14.06 or something?

Why is Canonical ruining Ubuntu?

Good news. They should have planned a much longer "testing phase" to begin with. Now it looks like Mir will have a bit more time to bake before being fed to everyone.

Sad Trombone

Quote Originally Posted by intellivision View Post
    This is what I don't get. If Mir needs extra time and they really want it in for the LTS, why not simply push back the date and have 14.06 or something?
    ^ this.

Seriously, all major consumer linux distros should adapt a rolling or half-rolling release model.

Quote Originally Posted by intellivision View Post
    What I don't get is why they had to make this stopgap with XMir at all. They should just ship Mir when it's ready, instead of pulling a hack on all users. I'm really glad 13.10 will not ship XMir by default, this means I don't need to warn my friends about it (it doesn't affect me directly because Xubuntu decided the same a while ago).