Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Steam's September Hardware Survey For Linux

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    This alone should end this bullshit. Doesn't Michael know the polls are bull?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I got the steam user survey for the first time this month, I have been using steam since the earliest linux betas. I suspect this is a random sampling thing. I don't think the sample numbers are far wrong. Many linux users either dual boot or use wine because the games they want to play are not available. I have avoided doing that, but I don't think it is all that common.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    230

    Default

    i too have never gotten the popup and i've been running it since exclusive beta.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    This alone should end this bullshit. Doesn't Michael know the polls are bull?
    So, a single user posting a "bug report" is enough proof that the survey is broken? The number of users on Steam is huge. The number of users that are randomly selected is small. The chance of being selected therefore very low. I've been using Steam for 8+ years now. I've been surveyed three times during all those years (and one of these was on Linux, so Linux polls do happen).

    Canceling the poll and changing the OS is probably detected, to keep people from willfully manipulating the poll by changing to their OS of choice before taking the survey. I would say what is being reported as a bug is actually a feature to prevent people from "cheating".

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Why does it "randomly" select people if it's supposed to survey how many people are using what? It should ask everyone.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    I run windows and linux and I got polled on Linux this time. Its not baised, you get polled on whatever OS your on at the time you get selected to poll. I spend >90% of my time on linux, so it makes sense that it was very likely that I was on linux at the time of polling. Statistics.

    Why do people call things biased if they don't agree with them? Its like dealing with the climate change deniers.
    Because of all of the cases where users have use Steam almost exclusively on Linux but never get the survey, but that one time they log in on Windows or in Wine they get polled and counted toward Windows.

    They should remove all ambiguity and just collect the OS and hardware string on login for every user over the last 30 days. Then just go with what was used most often over that month.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    Why does it "randomly" select people if it's supposed to survey how many people are using what? It should ask everyone.
    Because randomly selecting a large enough sample produces (almost) the same result as asking everyone (e.g ±1%). However, it is a lot faster and produces a lot less data. This is called a "representative survey". For some it might make a difference if the percentage of Linux gamers is 0.9%, 1% or 1.1% (or even 2%) but ultimately it doesn't matter. Who cares if Windows, in total, owns 95% or 94.9% of the market. It's undeniably the most used platform so publishers will continue to target that platform. Don't fool yourself thinking that Linux would suddenly have a much larger share (e.g. 20%) if only the survey where "more fair".

    Sample Size: How Many Survey Participants Do I Need?
    What is a Representative Sample Size for a Survey?

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Because randomly selecting a large enough sample produces (almost) the same result as asking everyone (e.g ±1%). However, it is a lot faster and produces a lot less data. This is called a "representative survey". For some it might make a difference if the percentage of Linux gamers is 0.9%, 1% or 1.1% (or even 2%) but ultimately it doesn't matter. Who cares if Windows, in total, owns 95% or 94.9% of the market. It's undeniably the most used platform so publishers will continue to target that platform. Don't fool yourself thinking that Linux would suddenly have a much larger share (e.g. 20%) if only the survey where "more fair".

    Sample Size: How Many Survey Participants Do I Need?
    What is a Representative Sample Size for a Survey?
    The sweet spot for AAA companies to take notice of your platform is at 4% of the market, so while nobody cares what percentage Windows is at it does in fact matter a great deal for Mac and Linux users if they want their OS to be better supported.

    Also, with 50 million users its quite possible for a random sample of even 5 million to return 100% of users using Windows.

    Thus it's best to remove all ambiguity and get everyone's data that has logged in via their client over the last month.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    [..]
    Also, with 50 million users its quite possible for a random sample of even 5 million to return 100% of users using Windows.
    [..]
    Not really...

    If you have 1% Linux users, the probability to draw a Windows user is 0.99 = 99%.
    If you draw two users, the probability for both to be Windows user is 0.99^2 = 98,01%.
    If you draw 1000 users, the probability for all of them to be Windows users is 0.99^1000 = ~0,0043%.
    For 5 million, it's ~0% and not "quite possible"...

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Any 64-bit Steam client yet?
    Any 64-bit Linux games on Steam yet?
    Any open source games on Steam yet?
    open source no 64 bit games yes
    heres a 64bit game
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/96200

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •