Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Multi-Monitor Support Is Not XMir's Only Problem

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    535

    Default

    canonical is schizophrenic and stupid.

    So they are going to deliver Xmir/Mir on a LTS release?

    this is the kind of decision making that will ensure they will always remain irrelevant in IT.


    You had the chance to ship 13.10 with xmir by default and have, at least people running intel gfx, beta test your product... and you're worried about multi monior support and BS little shit???

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    this is the kind of decision making that will ensure they will always remain irrelevant in IT.
    I'd be pretty shocked if that happens. If their goal is to get it into an LTS release sooner rather than later, the more likely scenario (to me) is for them to break the current cycle by making 14.04 NOT an LTS release and instead delay the next LTS to 14.10 so they can beta Mir in 14.04.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    119

    Default Do they need XMir for legacy support?

    Ubuntu needs XMir for legacy support

    But they can also be as Chakra - all qt - adapt every X.org package at the repository to Mir

    In the meantime they can have a distro with Mir plus Xorg as Chrome OS with Crouton for rare packages.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitcoes View Post
    Ubuntu needs XMir for legacy support

    But they can also be as Chakra - all qt - adapt every X.org package at the repository to Mir

    In the meantime they can have a distro with Mir plus Xorg as Chrome OS with Crouton for rare packages.
    Yes as all of the core to Wayland in the kernel mesa etc they're using was developed for Next Gen GPU's Etc and not the 10 year old GPU's like many Ubuntu users have today

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    535

    Default

    whut akincer?

    they can't do that as they will lose all the credibility they (still?) have.

    14.04 is going to be LTS and they can either choose to use it as a test bed for Xmir/mir or they can simply do what they did for 13.10 and simply revert back to using xorg like a bunch of wusses.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    whut akincer?

    they can't do that as they will lose all the credibility they (still?) have.

    14.04 is going to be LTS and they can either choose to use it as a test bed for Xmir/mir or they can simply do what they did for 13.10 and simply revert back to using xorg like a bunch of wusses.
    Would it be possible to have a switch with Xmir/mir/unity8 or xorg/unity7 kind of like what they did with 12.04 with unity2d or unity3d at login ?

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Frett View Post
    What do you mean? You don't have to use Unity to have Ubuntu. You can use XFCE (Xubuntu) if you like. But, I think DE Devs need to stop making dramatic changes just for the sake of change. I liked KDE before they did all that Plasma crap, and Gnome before they moved to their Tablet interface. XFCE is pretty much the same, that's the way I like it.
    1+ ........

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDF420 View Post
    Would it be possible to have a switch with Xmir/mir/unity8 or xorg/unity7 kind of like what they did with 12.04 with unity2d or unity3d at login ?
    You can switch between Xorg and XMir in 13.10 but that requiers editing a config file and then restarting LightDM. I'm sure if they really wanted it could be made into a separate sessions for LightDM.

    They also plan to add Unity 8 on Mir session in 13.10 but that's only plan. This version of Unity has only phone and tablet form factors and it's a work in progress.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    You had the chance to ship 13.10 with xmir by default and have, at least people running intel gfx, beta test your product... and you're worried about multi monior support and BS little shit???
    You don't beta test a product with an official release. This is why the Linux desktop is such a cluster-f.

    I have a weird idea. How about if nobody releases a damn thing until it's 100% tested and working and not a fubar'd pile of crap? It can really save a lot of users a ton of headaches and at the same time improve a company's credibility.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    You don't beta test a product with an official release. This is why the Linux desktop is such a cluster-f.

    I have a weird idea. How about if nobody releases a damn thing until it's 100% tested and working and not a fubar'd pile of crap? It can really save a lot of users a ton of headaches and at the same time improve a company's credibility.

    trollololol yeah I guess canonical never pushed half assed shit out the door *coff*unity*coff*upstart*coff


    they got shy now? how hard would it be to have a clickable script that would switch between xorg and xmir?


    Here's canonical's real press release:

    " hey fagzors we no longer give a shit about the desktop since we clearly aren't going nowheres fast lol ... we're all about dat dere smartphones now... in order to fail as hard in mobile space as we failed in desktop space we had to diverge our coders into writting their patented fail code into phones so now we have no time to deal with you and your "xmir broke my intels" shit, so fuck off, we only asked for 30 million dollars and you jew motherfuckers didn't even give us 10 million and now you want xmir for free? fuck dat you will get mir when you buy one of our ubuntu phones "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •