Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look At Some KDE 4.12 Features

Phoronix: A Look At Some KDE 4.12 Features

While KDE 4.12 isn't even being released until December and many KDE developers are busy focusing their efforts on KDE Frameworks 5, there still are a number of KDE 4.12 features that have already been prepared for this next desktop release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Look At Some KDE 4.12 Features

While KDE 4.12 isn't even being released until December and many KDE developers are busy focusing their efforts on KDE Frameworks 5, there still are a number of KDE 4.12 features that have already been prepared for this next desktop release...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3NjE
    Good for KDE. It's very stable, nagging bugs have been ironed out, and we're waiting for Wayland-native KF5.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      Wow. Is that all?
      I know your reading comprehension is terrible, but what part of the article didn't you understand?:
      While there's still a lot invested into KDE SC 4.12, don't expect anymore KDE4 Workspaces feature work. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM3Nzk

Comment

Wow. Is that all? Ohloh wasn't lying
        Workspaces in feature freeze until KF5... The only things getting updates is pretty much applications. So yes, from here on out the features will be small because developers are focusing on KF5 and related.

One event that Michael didn't run an article on... master branch of KDE is now KF5 based. It used to be run in a seperate branch but not any more, now if you are building from master you are required to have Qt5 and ARE testing KF5. Not a major milestone as far as technological advances (since it used to just be in its own seperate branch) but it is an important symbolic milestone.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I am really looking forward to the cantor python backend (although I still think it should have used iPython). I also hope the native gmail support for kmail is done in time.

Comment

Wow. Is that all?
            Among the KDE 4.12 features that users will be able to look forward to include:
            (emphasis added)

So no, that isn't all. Your reading comprehension is as terrible as always.

Comment

Wow. Is that all? Ohloh wasn't lying
              Michael, can you ban this annoying sourpuss?
              I don't have anything against him creating flamebait threads like his "Gnome kills KDE" rubbish. After all, if people wants to loose their time arguing with him, that's their life.
              But it is extremely irritating to have it jump on any KDE thread and polute them with his gibberish.
              Of course I can ignore him but I still get all the answers to him, usually quoting his nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
                Michael, can you ban this annoying sourpuss?
                I don't have anything against him creating flamebait threads like his "Gnome kills KDE" rubbish. After all, if people wants to loose their time arguing with him, that's their life.
                But it is extremely irritating to have it jump on any KDE thread and polute them with his gibberish.
                Of course I can ignore him but I still get all the answers to him, usually quoting his nonsense.
                Seconded, get his ass out of here
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

There is a native Akonadi resource for GMail being planned? If I interpret that correctly, does that mean GMail added to semantic search? That sounds very interesting, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                    There is a native Akonadi resource for GMail being planned? If I interpret that correctly, does that mean GMail added to semantic search? That sounds very interesting, I think.
                    No, that has been possible for a long time using gmail through imap. However, gmail offers a bunch of extensions beyond the normal imap. The plan, as I understand it, is to implement these extensions in akonadi so gmail emails are handled better.

For example, in gmail imap, gmail's "labels" are mapped to imap folders. The problem is, you can have more than one label on the same email. If you use normal imap, this means you get one independent copy of each email for every label you put on it. So an email with 3 labels would be seen by imap as 3 different emails. However, gmail's imap has an extension that gives each email a unique identifier. Using this, you can tell which emails are duplicates, only download the email one time, then display it in the proper folders.

Comment

Working...
                    X