Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 123

Thread: We Have Mir & Wayland, But There Still Could Be X12

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,335

    Default We Have Mir & Wayland, But There Still Could Be X12

    Phoronix: We Have Mir & Wayland, But There Still Could Be X12

    While the Mir Display Server and the Wayland protocol are widely viewed as the next-generation display technologies for Linux systems, there's already been delays with Mir and Wayland hasn't yet been widely adopted. Even if/when Mir and Wayland manage to lift off, the X.Org Server won't suddenly die and will be supported for years to come...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3NjI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Michael while writing: tongue in cheek & grabbing a big bag of popcorn

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    343

    Default

    The expressed "good stuff" about X11 right now is the network transparency[...]
    X11 is not network transparent, and hasn't been for a while.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    X11 is not network transparent, and hasn't been for a while.
    X11 is network transparent.
    It's the extensions that usually aren't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    .ca
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    Michael while writing: tongue in cheek & grabbing a big bag of popcorn
    Probably he wants to get a good start in the Oct/Fall advertising season with this flame bait trolling.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    313

    Default

    Oh please, stop this competition. Just focus on Wayland and forget the rest. Keep a small team to maintain X11 and fix urgent issues and use the rest of the resources to improve Wayland.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pajn View Post
    X11 is network transparent.
    It's the extensions that usually aren't.
    Okay, let me rephrase that:
    SHM and DRI2 (which are the only two that are used anymore) don't work over a network.
    Thus, X.org is "Network capable" but not "Network Transparent".

    Source: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.ogv
    Jump to the 18 minute mark to hear him say X.org is not network transparent :P

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Okay, let me rephrase that:
    SHM and DRI2 (which are the only two that are used anymore) don't work over a network.
    Thus, X.org is "Network capable" but not "Network Transparent".

    Source: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.ogv
    Jump to the 18 minute mark to hear him say X.org is not network transparent :P
    The core X11 protocol is. But sure, no one uses it anymore.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    Oh please, stop this competition. Just focus on Wayland and forget the rest. Keep a small team to maintain X11 and fix urgent issues and use the rest of the resources to improve Wayland.
    There's no competition. X12 is just a few ideas floating around without anyone even considering creating it. And Mir is distribution-specific, thus doesn't affect the majority of Linux.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default Wayland

    I believe Wayland will take over.

    I don't believe there will ever be an X12, a new fresh protocol written from the ground up as a successor to X11.

    However, it would be cool with X11-Lite or X11. A light version of X11, a subset of X11 without all the legacy stuff that is not used today on a modern computer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •