Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mozilla Pushes "Shumway" Flash Into Firefox

Flash performance under Linux is pathetic as it is, so It wouldn't bother me if Shumway ends up being 2x as slow. Flash is pretty much legacy at this point anyhow, so the only reason for a Flash implementation is going to be legacy support for sites that don't get updated. In a few years, the performance won't matter so much anymore. The platform independence and relative future-proofing of a js implementation makes it well worth the tradeoff in my eyes.

Then again, Flash performance is so aweful it also wouldn't surprise me if Mozilla's implementation ended up being faster, just because of how shit the Adobe one is.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Well in that case it doesn't seem to be very fast. My Firefox (it is enabled) is very laggy on JavaScript heavy sites.
    asm.js doesn't speed up regular JavaScript. It only speeds up JavaScript that explicitly states that it uses asm.js which means that it can be parsed as bytecode instead of JavaScript. It is intended for sites that writes their logic in C/C++ and then compiles their code to JavaScript.

asm.js is just a way to output bytecode in a JavaScript compatible way (kind of like Native Client but compatible with browsers that doesn't support it).

Default performance-wise, shumwy is the only hope...

There is a lot of flash video content out there, mandated by the copyright owners for drm reasons (unless they mandate the dreaded Silverlight, like Netflix). For Linux users, the real bottleneck is that the flash on linux doesn't do hardware acceleration. Since shumway uses the ordinary backends for rendering, the gstreamer native backend is available which indeed is hw accelerated.

So, perhaps we'll be able to watch flash videos under Linux without CPU decoding before flash is replaced (the hls encoded streams must also be handled...) I don't really see any other realistic alternative by now.