Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux OpenGL: Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 vs. Fedora 19/20

Default Linux OpenGL: Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 vs. Fedora 19/20

Phoronix: Linux OpenGL: Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 vs. Fedora 19/20

Under the microscope this Saturday morning are benchmark results comparing the Intel Haswell graphics performance of Ubuntu 13.04, Ubuntu 13.10 Beta, Fedora 19, and Fedora 20 Alpha. The System76 Galago UltraPro with Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics was used to see how these four Linux distribution releases compare in their open-source OpenGL graphics/gaming performance.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19165

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux OpenGL: Ubuntu 13.04/13.10 vs. Fedora 19/20

Under the microscope this Saturday morning are benchmark results comparing the Intel Haswell graphics performance of Ubuntu 13.04, Ubuntu 13.10 Beta, Fedora 19, and Fedora 20 Alpha. The System76 Galago UltraPro with Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics was used to see how these four Linux distribution releases compare in their open-source OpenGL graphics/gaming performance.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19165
    I been doing some testing of my own on Fedora 20 and i really can say it's the one of the best Linux's to date even in Alpha and Gnome 3.10 finely just works i'm not a big fan of Gnome 3 and up but a lot of linux users been taking a liking to Fedora 20 lately

That's a pretty impressive differance between recent versions. I wonder if it's the same for Gen1/2/3 Core CPU's as well on the same test!

Just shows that Ubuntu is exactly the crapware i always thought of it as.

Quote Originally Posted by rabcor View Post
    How exactly does it show that because from benchmarks results both Fedora 20 and Ubuntu 13.10 are equal and that's expected (same kernel and mesa and other bits of the graphic stack).

Quote Originally Posted by rabcor View Post
    Just shows that you are in total denial and a hater we always thought you are.

I don't see any performance difference between Fedora and Ubuntu with same kernel versions...

Quote Originally Posted by stiiixy View Post
    That's a pretty impressive differance between recent versions. I wonder if it's the same for Gen1/2/3 Core CPU's as well on the same test!
    Leave it to phoronix never to test real world hardware only the latest most expensive shit

Thanks for benchmarks! Thats exactly the problem. Even Debian Testing is currently 3.10.... :3
    Also, there is something that you can't really benchmark - bugs. 3.10 still has a lot of bugs, which were all resolved in latest DRM kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    Leave it to phoronix never to test real world hardware only the latest most expensive shit
    He'll never get any more hardware donated if he doesn't show he'll advertise it as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Thanks for benchmarks! Thats exactly the problem. Even Debian Testing is currently 3.10.... :3
    apt-get install -t experimental linux-image-3.11-trunk-amd64
    apt-get install -t experimental libgl1-mesa-glx

I don't get this obsession with default installations here on phoronix. It's trivial to upgrade the kernel or mesa. People act like if the GUI installer doesn't give you something by default, then you will never ever ever be able to run it on your distro.

But then the same people happily go through root canal surgery required to install and set up binary blobs and Steam and games under Wine.