Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Civilization V Might Be Heading To Linux

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,373

    Default Civilization V Might Be Heading To Linux

    Phoronix: Civilization V Might Be Heading To Linux

    As the latest good news for Linux gamers is that it appears 2K Games is bringing some of their titles to Linux like Civilization V and XCOM: Enemy Unknown...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ3Nzc

  2. #2

    Default Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

    I just came....


    ...here to tell you how much i appreciate this.

    These particular games are about 2/4 of the reason i'm forced to keep win7 installed. The rest being Skyrim and Deus Ex. Every bit counts.

    Edit: a while ago in the Steam OS wishlist thread i hoped for a wine solution baked into Steam itself, but the need for that is diminishing at an astonishing rate.
    Last edited by Pahanilmanlintu; 10-05-2013 at 05:29 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Very good news, because Civ5 and UFO are very popular games. However, I found them to be very simplified and thus uninteresting. In example civ5 is like 1/5 of Civ:CTP2. I would expect new games to be more complex.. When comes to UFO:EU it has very boring and simplified battles.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35

    Default A dream comes true!

    Bordelands 2 for Linux - this is only game for now with forces me to use Win 8 sometimes. I really hope this is true .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    2

    Default Nice!

    It's good to see more and more publishers starting to support Linux. I'll be definitely trying Civ V there.
    Currently my only concern and reason for almost not playing anything on my Steam for linux, is graphics drivers. I have a laptop with ATI + Intel graphics and I have problems putting the ATI card to work (forget about catalyst) and the Intel performance isn't that great, so even having about 15 games playable on linux, I still have to use windows in order to play them decently... =/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noriandir View Post
    It's good to see more and more publishers starting to support Linux. I'll be definitely trying Civ V there.
    Currently my only concern and reason for almost not playing anything on my Steam for linux, is graphics drivers. I have a laptop with ATI + Intel graphics and I have problems putting the ATI card to work (forget about catalyst) and the Intel performance isn't that great, so even having about 15 games playable on linux, I still have to use windows in order to play them decently... =/
    Never buy ATI cards if you are going to use Linux - I have 3 Nvidia devices, one Nvidia/Intel and one Intel GPU-s - no problems running Linux.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    It's been discussed to pieces on reddit and people arrived at the conclusion that Amazon b0rked. Here's Phoronix not checking facts once again. Yay for click bait!

    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...linux_version/

    Microsoft Train Simulator for Linux, are you people mad?!

    http://www.amazon.com/Train-Simulato...g_bs_290573_54
    Last edited by who_me; 10-05-2013 at 06:39 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    It's been discussed to pieces on reddit and people arrived at the conclusion that Amazon b0rked. Here's Phoronix not checking facts once again. Yay for click bait!

    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...linux_version/

    Microsoft Train Simulator for Linux, are you people mad?!

    http://www.amazon.com/Train-Simulato...g_bs_290573_54
    Indeed, I wouldn't trust this Amazon information too much.

    Then again, as for Civilization V coming to Linux:
    http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    It's been discussed to pieces on reddit and people arrived at the conclusion that Amazon b0rked. Here's Phoronix not checking facts once again. Yay for click bait!

    http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming...linux_version/

    Microsoft Train Simulator for Linux, are you people mad?!

    http://www.amazon.com/Train-Simulato...g_bs_290573_54
    Civ5 and UFO run on OS X which is a terrible gaming platform, but supports OpenGL. It's very probable those games will be ported to Linux.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Very good news, because Civ5 and UFO are very popular games. However, I found them to be very simplified and thus uninteresting. In example civ5 is like 1/5 of Civ:CTP2. I would expect new games to be more complex.. When comes to UFO:EU it has very boring and simplified battles.
    Your opinion would sound that much more serious if you actually knew the game in question is not called UFO but XCOM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •