Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Trillian Chat Client Coming To Linux, Currently In Beta

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    I used Trillian a long time ago. Then I tried Pidgin and never went back to Trillian. The I stopped using desktop IM software other than Skype for about 2 years until a few days ago when I installed Pidgin again.
    Sounds exactly like my story. When I first got into linux I used Trillian for a couple months in wine, and when I got a little more comfortable with linux I figured I'd try something native to it. Pidgin had less to offer but it was good enough.


    I feel like Cerulean Studios is doing this as a last ditch effort to make money from Trillian. The program is really running out of compelling features and text-based chats outside of Facebook and customer support chat services.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    LOL who in hell would buy such a software, especially on Linux ? I'm curious XD
    I'm sure there is some GTK die-hard out there who loves it so much that for a change something new is written in GTK that he'll buy Trillian right away.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    125

    Unhappy yahoo

    Yahoo is highly popular in Asia and its the only way I can communicate with family. There is no Yahoo (With Webcam!!!) support on Linux. Guyachi (or whatever) is dead and Kopete is almost useless. So where oh where can I do Video Chat through Yahoo with my family?. If Trillian can do that, I'm sold. I don't care if it's proprietary. No, I'm not going to use Skype and neither is my family.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    I'm sure there is some GTK die-hard out there who loves it so much that for a change something new is written in GTK that he'll buy Trillian right away.
    Oh you mean FunkSTAR?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Is the protocol closed source? The client? If the answer is yes to either it has no value, just encrypt you chats and use TOR.
    pshh probably, im not recommending it.

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    What is this protocol good for?
    We already have Jabber / XMPP.
    I dont know, I wont use it. I run my own xmpp based chat for work and my friends. I agree with you. Just pointing out that they do have a reason.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
    Hum... I don't know about this one. Could you point to some resource detailing it?
    Yeah, i dont know much about this either, just going off of one of the earlier comments, Im not endorsing or suggesting using this at all. I do however recommend pidgin and running your own xmpp/jabber server.
    Here's the comment from the first page.

    Quote Originally Posted by ObscureAngelPT View Post
    I guess this is why they are trying to descentralize the things.
    Not sure if it is going to be good ideia..

    http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2746

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    They can take their proprietary software and shove it!
    We already have several free software choices for IM, such as Empathy and many others.

    With NSA wiretapping communication, you should not trust your communication to be done over proprietary software.

    This is a agency that is known to do kidnap people (they call it "extraordinary rendition") and send them to secret prison camps in Egypt for torture.
    The idea of the NSA kidnapping and torturing people is absurd. Just because one conspiracy theory proved to be true does not give you license to make shit up by randomly feeding trendy buzzwords into a phrasal template.

    Cite your sources.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    The idea of the NSA kidnapping and torturing people is absurd. Just because one conspiracy theory proved to be true does not give you license to make shit up by randomly feeding trendy buzzwords into a phrasal template.

    Cite your sources.
    I am sorry, I got it mixed up, this wasn't the NSA who did the kidnapping and torturing, it was the CIA.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repatr...hammad_al-Zery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I am sorry, I got it mixed up, this wasn't the NSA who did the kidnapping and torturing, it was the CIA.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repatr...hammad_al-Zery
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_rendition
    And I, in turn, am sorry for being rude. I know the CIA is infamous for this kind of shit, but seeing the NSA get accused of something like this just felt like FUD.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    And I, in turn, am sorry for being rude. I know the CIA is infamous for this kind of shit, but seeing the NSA get accused of something like this just felt like FUD.
    Feds are still feds. The NSA trumps up terrorism charges, the FBI nabs you, the TSA throws you on a plane, the CIA "renditions" you in some shithole country for the rest of your short and extremely painful existence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •