Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ATI "r500-fp" DRM Merged To Master

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,417

    Default ATI "r500-fp" DRM Merged To Master

    Phoronix: ATI "r500-fp" DRM Merged To Master

    Last Thursday, David Airlie achieved hardware-accelerated glxgears on an open-source R500 Mesa implementation based upon the earlier R300 code. This is a big step forward for open-source 3D on these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards, but it's still a work in progress...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjQwNQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,091

    Default

    Great Will it try out soon, as Debian always updates mesa to the latest git every month, and the next time seems to be this week.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default So which to use, radeon or radeonhd?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ATI "r500-fp" DRM Merged To Master

    Last Thursday, David Airlie achieved hardware-accelerated glxgears on an open-source R500 Mesa implementation based upon the earlier R300 code. This is a big step forward for open-source 3D on these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards, but it's still a work in progress...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjQwNQ
    So if I've got an X1600 (RV535) in my system, should I be using the radeon or radeonhd driver? I'm confused, and honestly I find that the git commits to the radeonhd tree to be darn slow... but maybe I'm too used to linux kernel speed. :]

    Basically, on a new AMD AM2 5000+ cpu, 4gb of RAM and my X1600, I found the flight gear was unplayable. I assume because I don't have GL support and it's doing all the work rendering on the CPU.

    I'd like to try and keep away from the fglrx driver, if only because I'm so happy AMD is releasing the GPU specs. A major reason why I bought AMD/ATI for my new system.

    So, any suggestions? Oh yeah, I'm also running Ubuntu 8.04 Beta as well. Bleeding edge is fun!

    Cheers,
    John

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by l8gravely View Post
    So, any suggestions? Oh yeah, I'm also running Ubuntu 8.04 Beta as well. Bleeding edge is fun!

    Cheers,
    John
    The article indicates the new code is going into git, not any distribution yet. So, either start installing git or you'll have to wait a while. Neither of the ati or radeonhd stable releases are using this new code yet.

    To install drm and mesa is pretty easy, just follow the "building from git" link at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download

    regards,

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,282

    Default

    Until now most of the acceleration work has been done in the radeon tree rather than radeonhd simply because the acceleration code was already *in* radeon. The most recent EXA and Xv acceleration work was written initially by Alex for earlier GPU families (R300 for EXA, R200 for TexturedVideo), then extended to cover R5xx as a separate step.

    The radeonhd devs are almost finished porting the 2d acceleration code and DRI support into radeonhd (maybe a couple of weeks) so going forward you should see more acceleration work being done directly in the radeonhd tree and the apparent activity in radeonhd will go up. That said, we are trying to keep the acceleration and DRI code in radeon and radeonhd very close so that improvements can easily be pushed between the drivers. Hopefully we can do the same with the Xv code.

    On the 3d side, everyone has agreed that we will stick with a single copy of mesa/mesa and mesa/drm, so any work done there will immediately benefit both drivers once DRI support is running in radeonhd. For now, though, if you want to play with "bleeding edge" acceleration code then you will need to use radeon; otherwise you can go with radeonhd and it should catch up quickly once the core acceleration framework is in place, which should be quite soon.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-24-2008 at 01:12 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    [QUOTE=paul;27955]The article indicates the new code is going into git, not any distribution yet. So, either start installing git or you'll have to wait a while. Neither of the ati or radeonhd stable releases are using this new code yet.

    To install drm and mesa is pretty easy, just follow the "building from git" link at http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download/QUOTE]

    Thanks for hint. I've already pulled the radeonHD git tree and I'm using it, but again to no great shakes in terms of performance.

    I'll have to give the radeon tree a go and see how well flight gear works on there.

    I can be patient though, pysol is my game of choice right now when I have neurons to spare. :]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    Until now most of the acceleration work has been done in the radeon tree rather than radeonhd simply because the acceleration code was already *in* radeon. The most recent EXA and Xv acceleration work was written initially by Alex for earlier GPU families (R300 for EXA, R200 for TexturedVideo), then extended to cover R5xx as a separate step.

    The radeonhd devs are almost finished porting the 2d acceleration code and DRI support into radeonhd (maybe a couple of weeks) so going forward you should see more acceleration work being done directly in the radeonhd tree and the apparent activity in radeonhd will go up. That said, we are trying to keep the acceleration and DRI code in radeon and radeonhd very close so that improvements can easily be pushed between the drivers. Hopefully we can do the same with the Xv code.

    On the 3d side, everyone has agreed that we will stick with a single copy of mesa/mesa and mesa/drm, so any work done there will immediately benefit both drivers once DRI support is running in radeonhd. For now, though, if you want to play with "bleeding edge" acceleration code then you will need to use radeon; otherwise you can go with radeonhd and it should catch up quickly once the core acceleration framework is in place, which should be quite soon.
    Thanks for the pointers, now I'm going to pull down the radeon git tree and see how that works for me.

    John

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •