Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: AMD APUs Don't Appear Affected By Linux 3.12 Change

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,438

    Default AMD APUs Don't Appear Affected By Linux 3.12 Change

    Phoronix: AMD APUs Don't Appear Affected By Linux 3.12 Change

    Earlier today in The AMD Radeon Performance Is Incredible On Linux 3.12, ten different AMD Radeon graphics cards were tested to complement the original Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements article from Saturday. In changing things up from looking at the discrete AMD GPU performance, here are some benchmarks of an AMD Fusion E-350 APU with the Linux 3.11 and 3.12 kernels...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NTg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD APUs Don't Appear Affected By Linux 3.12 Change

    Earlier today in The AMD Radeon Performance Is Incredible On Linux 3.12, ten different AMD Radeon graphics cards were tested to complement the original Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements article from Saturday. In changing things up from looking at the discrete AMD GPU performance, here are some benchmarks of an AMD Fusion E-350 APU with the Linux 3.11 and 3.12 kernels...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NTg
    So it looks like my wild guess is correct. Probably last changes indeed improved governor for intel CPUs... Therefore there is no change with AMD's APUs.

    By the way, Michael, did you force dpm for APUs? Otherwise this test is meaningless since they are already operating at minimum frequencies.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    781

    Default

    That mimics the other result in that lower-end GPUs seem to be less affected.

    Have you followed up on the suggestions about GART sizes and/or CPU scaling governors yet?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Who cares for E-350 when there is Kabini already?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: AMD APUs Don't Appear Affected By Linux 3.12 Change

    Earlier today in The AMD Radeon Performance Is Incredible On Linux 3.12, ten different AMD Radeon graphics cards were tested to complement the original Linux 3.12 Brings Big AMD Radeon Improvements article from Saturday. In changing things up from looking at the discrete AMD GPU performance, here are some benchmarks of an AMD Fusion E-350 APU with the Linux 3.11 and 3.12 kernels...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4NTg
    Ummm...Michael, I don't mean to be a dick (i really don't) but I only got one question for ya... did you enable DPM for these? The discrete cards don't need it to function 'okay' but the APU's default to BIOS clock speeds which are pitiful and then the GPU clockspeeds become the bottleneck. So if you didn't enable DPM then this is an entirely pointless article because you introduced a different bottleneck...

    Now, if you DID enable DPM, then okay, great, this is more data to figure out what exactly is going on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sacridex View Post
    Who cares for E-350 when there is Kabini already?
    E-350, E-450 and friends run a lot better than Kabini with the free driver. If you manage to install Linux into a Kabini machine, you'll find yourself restricted to Catalyst (the graphics unit seems to be a SI one).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    850

    Default

    @sacridex
    Phoronix doesn't receive any review samples as the article says. And Michael seems to be unwilling or unable to cooperate with hardware sites that do, so has to pay for the hardware out of his own pocket.

    Currently you can buy Kabini only in Notebooks which will set you back at least 340 EUR (Thinkpad E145 with E1-2500 dual core CPU), this does not promise good ROI especially if many users install Adblock.

    And Kabini is GCN, which is already known to perform poorly with the open source drivers.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rakot View Post
    So it looks like my wild guess is correct. Probably last changes indeed improved governor for intel CPUs... Therefore there is no change with AMD's APUs.

    By the way, Michael, did you force dpm for APUs? Otherwise this test is meaningless since they are already operating at minimum frequencies.
    Eh, not quite. There's still a possibility that if Michael ran these tests on an AMD CPU system with the discrete cards that the performance benefits may still occur. But yes, DPM would have an impact on the results.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    f you manage to install Linux into a Kabini machine, you'll find yourself restricted to Catalyst (the graphics unit seems to be a SI one).
    We already have success reports from Kabini users (after solving initial configuration problems) on Gentoo with the radeon driver in our forums.

    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=971748
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=971952

  10. #10

    Default

    That's a very low-end GPU/APU, though. Perhaps the changes arrived for some higher-end features, found in more higher-end cards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •