Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Default Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

Phoronix: Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

The latest high-profile open-source project jumping ship from the GTK+ tool-kit and migrating to Qt is the Wireshark network analyzer...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ4ODM

If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch. I know these don't actually use GTK+, but you guys know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch. I know these don't actually use GTK+, but you guys know what I'm talking about.
    Exactly! There's no single reason to use gtk instead Qt.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Exactly! There's no single reason to use gtk instead Qt.
    There's one reason. Some fanatic *cough*FUNKstar*cough* don't like the fact that they make money with commercial projects wanting to use their framework.

Qt is wonderful and should be standard

I really like the Qt project, and I've also tried coding against it, and like that it's gaining more and more ground on different platforms. I own both a Nokia N900, N9 and pre-ordered and a Jolla.

BUT, I really don't like how Qt looks in KDE. I think it's horribly ugly, wastes way to much space (just like Gnome is doing) and somehow looks old and un-designed.

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    FireFox is being ported to GDK+

From the article:
    GTK+ on OS X is a second-class..
    Gtk is a third-class citizen on Windows. Gtk3 hasn't even been ported, the latest "stable" Window$ port is an old version of Gtk2 - not the latest Gtk2 version, but an old version of Gtk2.

In other words, it makes perfect sense moving to Qt if you care about OSX and Windows. Even on Linux the Gtk OpenGL support hasn't been ported to Gtk3 yet and no plans for doing so.
    Last edited by mark45; 10-17-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    I really like the Qt project, and I've also tried coding against it, and like that it's gaining more and more ground on different platforms. I own both a Nokia N900, N9 and pre-ordered and a Jolla.

BUT, I really don't like how Qt looks in KDE. I think it's horribly ugly, wastes way to much space (just like Gnome is doing) and somehow looks old and un-designed.
    At least it's easy to change the theme in KDE

Quote Originally Posted by Azpegath View Post
    I also got bored of that and installed QtCurve. Problem solved, and it feels faster.

Instead of Qt, why those project don't use WxWidgets? It should adapt on the toolkit you use.