Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Wireshark Is Being Ported From GTK+ To Qt

First, as has already been discussed countless of times, QtCore alone is hugely bloated. And it's included in every Qt app.

The "will become one" certainly didn't give confidence in that the KDE parts would stay a separate module. If they will, then I have nothing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    First, as has already been discussed countless of times, QtCore alone is hugely bloated. And it's included in every Qt app.
    It doesn't matter if QtCore has 1 MB or 4 MB as it is shared among applications using mmap.

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    If only LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and Firefox would switch.
    Plus GIMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Plus GIMP.
    Wouldn't it be ironic for GIMP to move away from GIMP Toolkit?

Quote Originally Posted by Krejzi View Post
    Is there any problem with irony in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Is there any problem with irony in general?
    Nah, but in this case it would be very odd. Imagine KDE moving away from the KDE Frameworks to something else ... I can't imagine any of mentioned.

Anyways, there seems to be active gtk3 branch for GIMP, so moving GIMP to Qt isn't likely going to happen (anytime soon).

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/log/?h=gtk3-port

Edit: There also was a Firefox Qt port back in Nokia days. I doubt though it still works.
    Last edited by Krejzi; 10-18-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    you sure you're not thinking about GTK apps running under Qt? Qt default theme looks nothing like the 90s

compare:
    [im g]http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/full/win98se.png[/img]

[ ]http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/KDE-4-11-RC-Is-Out-and-Features-OpenGL-Improvements-2.png?1374044258[/img]
    It was an exaggeration on my part. I actually meant early 2000s looks of plastic-themmed XP and KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Care to explain the second part? The best Linux programs I know I made with Qt.
    afaik while Qt people trying to make Qt more portable, the Gtk guys are focusing on Gnome over Linux.
    Clearly the Gtk's way would have advantages in exploiting the native platform. However this also changes Gtk from portable API to a de facto Linux/Gnome native API. It may also explain why recent versions of GTK haven's been ported -- they're too "Linux-specific".

Quote Originally Posted by JS987 View Post
    It doesn't matter if QtCore has 1 MB or 4 MB as it is shared among applications using mmap.
    Only true on Linux because the distro builds all software.

For Windows and Mac, each application have to ship its own building of Qt. No sharing because of potential DLL-hell.
    If you used Everything to search QtCore4.dll on your Windows, you'll be surprised so many copies of Qt are on your disk.
    Last edited by zxy_thf; 10-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krejzi View Post
    as already mentioned there was a patch for kde eg. Qt support in the late "90s see:
    http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=92755013313863&w=2