Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: ARM Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Linux ODROID-XU Tests

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,400

    Default ARM Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Linux ODROID-XU Tests

    Phoronix: ARM Cortex-A15 Quad-Core Linux ODROID-XU Tests

    When the first ARM Cortex-A15 SoCs started rolling out in devices I found the dual-core A15 performance to be crazy fast for ARM and still find the Cortex-A15 performance to be great for low-power devices. Now, however, there's quad-core Cortex-A15 SoCs and even with the big.LITTLE architecture these four A15 cores can be paired with four A7 cores. In this article are our first benchmark results to share of a Samsung Exynos 5 Octa with a 1.6GHz Cortex-A15 configuration paired with a quad-core Cortex-A7 processor...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MjM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    San Bernardino, CA
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Would be great to see this processor compared to the new Snapdragon S4 800

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Looks like it's noticeably better than Odroid-X2 with quad core Exynos, and it's getting close to Sandy Bridge i5 (my benchmarks: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...FO-1305102FO57 ). The only problem is that ARMs GPUs doesn't have as nice drivers as Intel ones (+usually Android oriented and not X.org).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    I still have a hard time understanding the purpose of the big.LITTLE architectures, or other similar platforms such as OMAP5.


    Anyway, I own an odroid-U2 and it's a pretty fantastic platform. I wish there was openGL acceleration (rather than OGL ES) but it being a quad core makes up for the performance hit it takes for having the CPU render everything.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I still have a hard time understanding the purpose of the big.LITTLE architectures, or other similar platforms such as OMAP5.


    Anyway, I own an odroid-U2 and it's a pretty fantastic platform. I wish there was openGL acceleration (rather than OGL ES) but it being a quad core makes up for the performance hit it takes for having the CPU render everything.
    Re: The purpose of big.LITTLE: Power consumption is a concern for designers of ARM systems. If I recall correctly, big.LITTLE systems address this by using the slower low-power cores when the load is low and then switching to the high-performance cores when the load requires it. I believe this is also the reason for why the cores have to be paired - processes need to be transferred from the low-power cores to the high-performance cores seamlessly. I think that's also the only time when all of the cores are in operation; otherwise, either the A15 cores or the A7 cores are running, not both sets.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    4,723

    Default

    If you follow LWN, the OS can decide what to do with big.LITTLE. It can use it as intended - as a paired quad - or treat it as a real octa. Linux has code being written for both, so in the future you can choose.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gururise View Post
    Would be great to see this processor compared to the new Snapdragon S4 800
    This not the Snapdragon 800's competitor, though. The 1.8 Ghz Exynos 5420 is, with a more powerful GPU. I'm not sure if the Note 3 international has it and if it's been reviewed yet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    366

    Default

    Odroid already published some PTS benchmarks.

    I wonder how much the benchmarks actually stress the hardware, threaded benchmarks should perform better here. Also it will be interesting to see whether the performance jump is significant when the new Heterogenous Multi Processor chips come out that can utilise all 8 cores at the same time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I'm very interested in purchasing an ODROID-XU for running a GNU/Linux server on it and potentially even purchasing one for basic desktop use, but I can't find much information about how the PowerVR SGX performs in X.Org? Would anyone here be able to clear up a few things for me?

    I see mention above that the card supports GL ES.

    Are there any drivers (open or closed) that work on a GNU/Linux stack that allow it to do 3D rendering in X.Org? If so, what kind of performance do you get?
    Where do you obtain drivers? (I had a quick search on the PowerVR site and saw nothing of use)
    Can it render 1080p videos fine, and does it support hardware decode of many formats?

    Are there any other Cortex A15 boards that use a GPU from a company that is a little more supportive of open source, or at least has some in-development drivers even if not driven by the company producing the chip? (e.g. like the lima project).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
    I'm very interested in purchasing an ODROID-XU for running a GNU/Linux server on it and potentially even purchasing one for basic desktop use, but I can't find much information about how the PowerVR SGX performs in X.Org? Would anyone here be able to clear up a few things for me?

    I see mention above that the card supports GL ES.

    Are there any drivers (open or closed) that work on a GNU/Linux stack that allow it to do 3D rendering in X.Org? If so, what kind of performance do you get?
    Where do you obtain drivers? (I had a quick search on the PowerVR site and saw nothing of use)
    Can it render 1080p videos fine, and does it support hardware decode of many formats?

    Are there any other Cortex A15 boards that use a GPU from a company that is a little more supportive of open source, or at least has some in-development drivers even if not driven by the company producing the chip? (e.g. like the lima project).
    That's what really has me wary of much of this ARM stuff. Getting non-insane drivers is probably like playing Russian roulette. Then you have the chips from third-rate Chinese companies where you have to pray that you can get kernel compatibility.

    Somewhat ironically, I'm almost ready to think that NVIDIA will end up being the go-to ARM guy for people who want sane drivers. I don't think they're in any dev boards like these though... except maybe that Kayla thingy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •