Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Default OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Phoronix: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes

Since last week's release of OS X 10.9 "Mavericks", I've begun benchmarking my few Apple systems to see how the performance compares over OS X 10.8. In this article are our first benchmarks of OS X Mavericks final as we look at how the performance changes for a Haswell-based 2013 MacBook Air...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5ODI

Mavericks didn't really add anything I use unfortunately. My experience so far has been identical to what it was before, although I imagine there's a slew of under the hood stuff that smooths things out. (MBA 2013)

there was some small OpenGL changes
    like OpenGL 4.1 and OpenCL 2 ...

Default How is this Linux related?

I can understand benchmarking a decent OS (Linux) on a fruit store device but
    this... no thanks. Let's keep a clean room environment so we cannot be
    accused of stealing from a bunch of thieves with the US president's veto in
    their pocket.

Cool Not many = few

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OS X Mavericks Brings Not Many Performance Changes
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5ODI
    Michael, you seem a bit overworked! I hope you take some time away from those many machines)

Quote Originally Posted by oo_OO_oo View Post
    I can understand benchmarking a decent OS (Linux) on a fruit store device but
    this... no thanks. Let's keep a clean room environment so we cannot be
    accused of stealing from a bunch of thieves with the US president's veto in
    their pocket.
    Phoronix also regularly benchmarks other UNIX-like or UNIX-based operating systems such as the BSDs or this.

Quote Originally Posted by M1kkko View Post
    Phoronix also regularly benchmarks other UNIX-like or UNIX-based operating systems such as the BSDs or this.
    And windows too, but all of these in comparison with Linux.

For anyone out there who has a hackintosh, be sure to backup your current setup before upgrading to 10.9 - there's a high probability something will break.

For anyone out there looking to do a hackintosh, 10.9 is the first OSX that is free. While I personally got 10.6.8 to work bare metal on a socket 939 AMD system, if graphics aren't a big deal to you, I'd recommend using VMware images.

A couple weeks ago I played L4D2 on OS X and I was surprised a) how awful the performance was, and b) that there was no raw mouse input, making it a real cluster-f.

Frankly I just don't get why people think Apple is anything other than a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    A couple weeks ago I played L4D2 on OS X and I was surprised a) how awful the performance was, and b) that there was no raw mouse input, making it a real cluster-f.

Frankly I just don't get why people think Apple is anything other than a turd.
    Well to be fair, Mac was never known for its games. Linux is a better gaming platform, which really says something considering it has a lot less native games and for the longest time has had a lot less attention toward GPU drivers.