Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: LibreOffice Lands A Ton Of GPU OpenCL Functions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,317

    Default LibreOffice Lands A Ton Of GPU OpenCL Functions

    Phoronix: LibreOffice Lands A Ton Of GPU / OpenCL Support

    More than fifty commits pushed into the core code-base today for the LibreOffice open-source office suite work on support for "GPU Calc" to take advantage of OpenCL for various math spreadsheet calculations...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5OTA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Is someone planning to do bimolecular simulations using spreadsheets?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    Is someone planning to do bimolecular simulations using spreadsheets?
    You forget two things:
    1. OpenCL also means CPU multi core. If someone had implemented OpenMP for Libreoffice, nobody would have been interested.
    2. GPU calculations are supposed to get increasingly cheaper as soon as HUMA is there. Thus it makes perfectly sense to use the GPU wherever you can.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    You forget two things:
    1. OpenCL also means CPU multi core. If someone had implemented OpenMP for Libreoffice, nobody would have been interested.
    2. GPU calculations are supposed to get increasingly cheaper as soon as HUMA is there. Thus it makes perfectly sense to use the GPU wherever you can.
    Are you? I meant, the last thing i would use to make intensive parallelized multicore/GPU calculations is a damn spread sheet, regardless of the backend implemented.

    I rather focus those efforts to improve format compatibility, stability, java removal, UI usability, etc!.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    I rather focus those efforts to improve format compatibility, stability, java removal, UI usability, etc!.
    Then please do. LibreOffice is an open source project and you can always
    get involved and chime in on format compatibility, stability, etc.

    Don't forget - a bunch of these people are volunteers, you don't actually
    get a say in what they should code first, it's their free time

    Furthermore, the ones that are payed/sponsored/supported will (gasp!)
    code what they payer/sponsor/supporter told them to. And AMD wanted
    some sweet OpenCL push.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    Are you? I meant, the last thing i would use to make intensive parallelized multicore/GPU calculations is a damn spread sheet, regardless of the backend implemented.

    I rather focus those efforts to improve format compatibility, stability, java removal, UI usability, etc!.
    As stated in the article, those improvements are done by AMD and MulticoreWare. I doubt that they'd contribute at all, if they had to implement the things you proposed before they where allowed to add this OpenCL stuff.

    As I don't use Calc, I'd have been more happy, if they'd added those features to GNU awk, but well... maybe they can be ported.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clavko View Post
    Then please do. LibreOffice is an open source project and you can always
    get involved and chime in on format compatibility, stability, etc.

    Don't forget - a bunch of these people are volunteers, you don't actually
    get a say in what they should code first, it's their free time

    Furthermore, the ones that are payed/sponsored/supported will (gasp!)
    code what they payer/sponsor/supporter told them to. And AMD wanted
    some sweet OpenCL push.

    You make it sound like an amateur project and some how i should lower my expectations because of that. I guess users input is not really important since this project is only intended for developers who work in this project. Yes i really appreciate the Personas skinning support for LibreOffice too, very important and useful

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    As stated in the article, those improvements are done by AMD and MulticoreWare. I doubt that they'd contribute at all, if they had to implement the things you proposed before they where allowed to add this OpenCL stuff.

    As I don't use Calc, I'd have been more happy, if they'd added those features to GNU awk, but well... maybe they can be ported.
    Well, that sounds more like an exercise or test bed made by an intern for some planned crazy benchmark at AMD or whatever, who knows . I really think that openCL would be more useful for awk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    You make it sound like an amateur project and some how i should lower my expectations because of that. I guess users input is not really important since this project is only intended for developers who work in this project. Yes i really appreciate the Personas skinning support for LibreOffice too, very important and useful
    Ofcourse it's not an amateur project - it has a couple of millions LOC, ffs.
    Also, I'm not saying you should lower your expectations, I'm saying you
    shouldn't have any to begin with

    You see, this software is free of charge. No one said it would be
    fit for any particular purpose. You didn't pay a cent for it. Also,
    you're not forced to use it, there are many others, both commercial
    and free.

    Your personal feelings towards level of usefulness of some of the free
    contributions to a free project is really just wishful thinking. Therefore,
    either roll up your sleeves and code it yourself or pay someone to do it.

    NHF

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    Well, that sounds more like an exercise or test bed made by an intern for some planned crazy benchmark at AMD or whatever, who knows .
    Actually, that is what I think, too. Proof of concept for AMD. Nevertheless, this code might come handy for some people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
    I really think that openCL would be more useful for awk
    Yet, at the moment it won't work very well for awk, as it would force an X11 dependency for awk. This will probably change, as soon as we get render nodes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •