Thread: Compiler optimization levels

Question Compiler optimization levels

I'm looking to do some automatic benchmarking of different optimization levels on a few of my computers, but I don't see a clear way of actually doing this with PTS. In some of the published tests I see different test identifiers with -O0, -O3, etc, but I don't actually see how PTS is changing the levels of optimization between the tests.

Am I missing something?

PTS honors any CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS set outside of the program so from there you can easily set the environment variables and the test profiles should use them when you use force-install to re-install the tests. Does that help you?

Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you!

Default Compiler optimization levels

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    PTS honors any CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS set outside of the program so from there you can easily set the environment variables and the test profiles should use them when you use force-install to re-install the tests. Does that help you?

i also encounter this issue. And what i want not only compile program in different levels but alse how much time dose each compile phrase cost?
    compile in level -O1 cost 1s, and run cost 2s
    compile in level -O2 cost 3s, and run cost 1s
    compile in level -O3 cost 5s, and run cost 1s

how can i do this using this test framework?
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by empty_kai View Post
    i also encounter this issue. And what i want not only compile program in different levels but alse how much time dose each compile phrase cost?
    compile in level -O1 cost 1s, and run cost 2s
    compile in level -O2 cost 3s, and run cost 1s
    compile in level -O3 cost 5s, and run cost 1s

how can i do this using this test framework?
    thank you!
    Use tests like build-linux-kernel build-apache and build-imagemagick to see compile time examples for the different flags. then the other test profiles for seeing the run-time performance impact. see various phoronix articles as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Use tests like build-linux-kernel build-apache and build-imagemagick to see compile time examples for the different flags. then the other test profiles for seeing the run-time performance impact. see various phoronix articles as examples.
    really thanks for your answers.

I also have fellowing questions?
    1. using test pts/build-php. when i veiw the test result in browser, in the tab system-logs--->environment-variables, there are
    PATH=....../bin/gcc
    CXXFLAGS=-O3
    CFLAGS=-O3
    whether this means I compile the pts/build-php using gcc -O3 flags?

2. where was the pts/build-php compiled result? and how can i use it to test which flags of gcc(-O1 -O2 -O3) was have fastest running speed?
    3.can you give some links of articles about this? I can not find it easily.

thank you very much.