Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRI3 Support Merged For X.Org Server 1.15

Default DRI3 Support Merged For X.Org Server 1.15

Phoronix: DRI3 Support Merged For X.Org Server 1.15

X.Org Server 1.15 is now under a feature-freeze but just before that happened, DRI3 support including the new Present Extension, was merged...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMDY

Check list for Xorg 1.15:

• Mesa mega driver support ----> merged
    • DRI3 ----> merged
    • GLX Rewrite ----> merged

Not a bad list considering that a month ago the Xorg 1.15 released was "2 bug fixes and an ABI break"
    Last edited by Ericg; 11-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Great news, but afaik both the gui toolkits and drivers have to support and use DRI3000, otherwise the stack will fall back to dri2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Check list for Xorg 1.15:

• XWayland Support (partial) ----> merged
    No! And all this because of email issues.

Ajax sent the pull request very late, but the maintainer seems not having received it:

on irc, soon after the close of the merge window:
    "< keithp> ajax said they weren't quite ready" (yes he said that... two weeks ago...?)

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but that means XWayland can't be added in any 1.15.x releases, whereas it could have if the ABI changes had been pulled.
    Last edited by mannerov; 11-01-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mannerov View Post
    No! And all this because of email issues.

Ajax sent the pull request very late, but the maintainer seems not having received it:

on irc, soon after the close of the merge window:
    "< keithp> ajax said they weren't quite ready" (yes he said that... two weeks ago...?)

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but that means XWayland can't be added in any 1.15.x releases, whereas it could have if the ABI changes had been pulled.
    Noted, mannerov. I edited my post accordingly. Hopefully it'll be merged for 1.16

Noted, mannerov. I edited my post accordingly. Hopefully it'll be merged for 1.16
    Yes, and that doesn't change much.
    DRI3 will need work to make it work with Mesa,
    and XWayland has big changes coming (we wish to remove the API part for the DDX, from the Xserver).

If there ABI changes were in, that would have only opened the possibility to add XWayland to a 1.15.x release, and even with that, it wouldn't have been sure.

Yes, and that doesn't change much.
    DRI3 will need work to make it work with Mesa,
    and XWayland has big changes coming (we wish to remove the API part for the DDX, from the Xserver).

If there ABI changes were in, that would have only opened the possibility to add XWayland to a 1.15.x release, and even with that, it wouldn't have been sure.
    Presumably the Mesa changes will come in Mesa 11.0.

Mannerov, do you know how 'complete' XWayland is? I know Red Hat ships a semi working version of it, but do you have a feel of how close it is to be merged in full?

Presumably the Mesa changes will come in Mesa 11.0.

Mannerov, do you know how 'complete' XWayland is? I know Red Hat ships a semi working version of it, but do you have a feel of how close it is to be merged in full?
    So input issues should be resolved in the next few months (don't try to play an fps with current xwayland...).

There remain a few other bugs, and it needs its own Present extension implementation. After that everything should work well.

I expect everything in order for March.

So input issues should be resolved in the next few months (don't try to play an fps with current xwayland...).

There remain a few other bugs, and it needs its own Present extension implementation. After that everything should work well.

I expect everything in order for March.
    Well unless I missed a headline, Wayland still doesn't have Pointer Acceleration merged, so by extension wouldnt XWayland then also be missing pointer accel? So yeah, an FPS would be out of the question lol.

Still waiting to hear on the status of Pointer Accel, last time I talked to him, Daniel said it was on his TODO list but that was months ago. So idk if someone else took up the mantle or what.

Well unless I missed a headline, Wayland still doesn't have Pointer Acceleration merged, so by extension wouldnt XWayland then also be missing pointer accel? So yeah, an FPS would be out of the question lol.

Still waiting to hear on the status of Pointer Accel, last time I talked to him, Daniel said it was on his TODO list but that was months ago. So idk if someone else took up the mantle or what.
    Mouse acceleration for FPS game is a bad idea. You won't know exactly how much your crosshairs will move once you move the mouse, which means you'll either overshoot or undershoot...