Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets UBO/TBO Support, OpenGL 3.3

Hybrid View

Default RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets UBO/TBO Support, OpenGL 3.3

Phoronix: RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets UBO/TBO Support, OpenGL 3.3

Just ahead of the code branching of the Mesa 10.0 release this week, Marek Olk has committed a number of improvements to the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D graphics driver for providing open-source to the Radeon HD 7000 series GPUs and newer on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMzg

Errata: there's no OpenGL 3.3 support for RadeonSI; there's no GLSL 1.50. RadeonSI has reached feature parity with r600g, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
    RadeonSI has reached feature parity with r600g, however.
    Alright, I'm sold. As soon as all components have an official release, I'm ordering the new card.

Thank you AMD!

Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Alright, I'm sold. As soon as all components have an official release, I'm ordering the new card.

Thank you AMD!
    Feature parity =/= efficiency parity. Everything could be looking correctly graphics wise while still running at 30% of the binary blob's speed. Don't get your hopes up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Feature parity =/= efficiency parity. Everything could be looking correctly graphics wise while still running at 30% of the binary blob's speed. Don't get your hopes up yet.
    RadeonSI performance is pretty widely spread across the board. With Color Tiling enabled it can get up to 80% catalyst speeds with certain applications, though it averages more around 50-60%. Still not bad, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by dffx View Post
    RadeonSI performance is pretty widely spread across the board. With Color Tiling enabled it can get up to 80% catalyst speeds with certain applications, though it averages more around 50-60%. Still not bad, all things considered.
    If you are getting half performance of another software implementation of a driver, there are some fundamental missing features of the gpu you aren't using. Maybe if AMD would stop crippling their gpus with firmware blobs some of the Red Hat or Novell guys would help use the SI architecture to its potential, but as long as we only get face value FOSS drivers over obfuscated hardware we're stuck with the halfhearted efforts AMD is making.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Feature parity =/= efficiency parity. Everything could be looking correctly graphics wise while still running at 30% of the binary blob's speed.
    I know, but Michael has been providing enough relevant benchmarks lately, and performance is "good enough" for everything I need. It's already beating catalyst in some benchmarks, and it's steadily rising.

I have to admit, I'm upgrading for windows gaming performance. Guild Wars 2 @ 2560x1440 is demanding enough that I wouldn't even accept the overhead of the wine layer, and I don't play other games at the moment. Otherwise, my old GPU is fast enough for all my linux needs, so all I'm looking for right now is simply a regression-free upgrade.

I'm hoping that during 2014, when SteamOS takes off, the OSS drivers will have closed the gap enough that I can look at gaming on linux again.

Notably missing geometry shaders:

Geometry shaders DONE (i965)

That means GL 3.1.

Something changed in the prettystacktrace function of the latest LLVM git and look like MESA can't use that function anymore.

Commenting out the line #182 of src/gallium/auxiliary/gallivm/lp_bld_misc.cpp fix the compilation issue but a proper fix should be made...

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TAHITI
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.0-devel (git-4e0ed59)
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40

Quote Originally Posted by RavFX View Post
    Something changed in the prettystacktrace function of the latest LLVM git and look like MESA can't use that function anymore.

Commenting out the line #182 of src/gallium/auxiliary/gallivm/lp_bld_misc.cpp fix the compilation issue but a proper fix should be made...

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD TAHITI
    OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.0.0-devel (git-4e0ed59)
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
    Yeah, there's a patch on the mesa-dev mailing list to fix that as of this morning... just hasn't been merged yet.