Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.13 To Receive Multi-Queue Block Layer

Phoronix: Linux 3.13 To Receive Multi-Queue Block Layer

While the Linux 3.13 merge window isn't opening until next week, the maintainer of the block layer to the Linux kernel isn't accepting anymore changes for this next kernel release. The merge pull for the block layer in Linux 3.13 is already quite large, in part due to merging the multi-queue block layer (blk-mq) support for faster disk performance. The multi-queue block layer will allow Linux to perform significantly better for disk IOPS while reducing latency with multi-queue SSD access on multi-core systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora 21 and Ubuntu 14.04 get more and more interesting...
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I wonder how IOPS improvement will look with simple setups like 4xSATA soft raid10 array etc (if any).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        3.13 Won't make it to 14.04.

Comment

The improvements described are fantastic - disk IO has been a real slow point in Linux. These changes should go a long way to making Linux even more competitive at the top end of the enterprise datacentre market.

I will probaby be building some custom kernels once this version is available to download.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            So glad Arch is a rolling release and we don't have to worry about which version is going to get a specific kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
              So glad Arch is a rolling release and we don't have to worry about which version is going to get a specific kernel...
              News flash: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
              Ubuntu users don't have to worry or wait. New kernels are added for Ubuntu as soon as they are released.

Comment

If these numbers a true I'm going to cry. The one issue I care about has been I/O. NVIDIA you can keep Optimus to yourself as long as my computer doesn't freeze when Amarok decides to do a library scan or firefox/Opera/Chrome have to access their caches or I copy something to USB, or hell, playing video can be pretty terrible sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper_Scull View Post
                  Ubuntu has the mainline packages if the user cares enough.
                  Fedora updates to the latest stable kernel typically around -rc3 of the development kernel.

I was more pointing out where they would be shipping-at-release. But as someone pointed out: Ubuntu might not since its an LTS release
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

So I take it these changes are only going to effect people that have SSDs that support this feature? or do all SATA drives support this feature?

Comment

Working...
                    X