Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radeon Gallium3D Improvements Compared To Legacy Catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by edoantonioco View Post
    Thats weird, because TF2 runs very good in my pc. Of course, I have "r600 back-end" activated and the DPM thing too.
    I'm happy to announce that TF2 runs awesomely on Windows, on Linux not so much with OSS or Catalyst drivers with my HD4770.

I'm not asking AMD to support my card forever, but having parity would be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Unless you happen to have a RS780/880 or RV790, then you get no UVD support at all. Quite funny, since the RS880 is still sold today and still the standard IGP for AMD's top of the line FX CPUs. Basically, AMD is saying a loud "Fuck You!!!" to anyone that wants a FX or Phenom II CPU, but needs an IGP. Meanwhile, Nvidia, the company without all the console deals to make money from, updated their legacy drivers to work with the latest kernel and Xserver, supporting their product line back to 2004.
    AMD in comparison: Products from 2007, with a 3.4 kernel and Xserver 1.12. Wanna try F2FS on your new SSD? AMD says: Only if you use inofficial patches. Wanna have the new fixed power-management? AMD says: "Fuck you, not with our driver!".
    Given that you have the option to add these missing capabilities yourself, I fail to feel sorry for you. Patches are welcome.

My card HD4770 has UVD2.2 chip, support is as follows:

Windows:

Generic: Never tested
    Catalyst: Full Support

Linux:

OSS: Full support via VDPAU, still very buggy, tends to crash the driver sometimes. Some applications have issues with it (ex. XBMC).
    Catalyst: Partial support, H264(high) and VC1 only via VAAPI.

sb backend is aplicable to that card?

69xx heave that problem...

(I'm pleased user of 5730M. With PM r600g is golden for me. )

I dont understand how AMD leave us without legacy driver support, that should be illegal, we bought their hardware, and they dont give us updated drivers. Thats not fair at all.
    Hence the importance of open source drivers. I get more support from Realtek for stuff they made 10 years ago, then anything AMD's made for the past 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by boot View Post
    OSS: Full support via VDPAU, still very buggy, tends to crash the driver sometimes. Some applications have issues with it (ex. XBMC).
    XBMC should work well now that VDPAU GL interop support is available in mesa.

Quote Originally Posted by sandain View Post
    Given that you have the option to add these missing capabilities yourself, I fail to feel sorry for you. Patches are welcome.
    Sorry I couldn't resist, but this is what I am thinking about when some random guy jumps in and says you should implement that feature or fix that bug by yourself.

I had done some C/C++ programming before and contributed to a few open source projects but graphics drivers are no joke, you can't become agd5f or marek by reading a few random online tutorials in one night. That requires years of training, motivation, a capable brain, access to hardware design details, wide range of hardware to test, a really deep understanding of hardware, operation system and drivers.

@agd5f
    Seriously, how many years and nights without rest it took you to become the Alex that we all know right now?

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Sorry I couldn't resist, but this is what I am thinking about when some random guy jumps in and says you should implement that feature or fix that bug by yourself.

I had done some C/C++ programming before and contributed to a few open source projects but graphics drivers are no joke, you can't become agd5f or marek by reading a few random online tutorials in one night. That requires years of training, motivation, a capable brain, access to hardware design details, wide range of hardware to test, a really deep understanding of hardware, operation system and drivers.

@agd5f
    Seriously, how many years and nights without rest it took you to become the Alex that we all know right now?
    I've been doing it for years now, but I didn't have any formal training in gfx. Like most other open source gfx developers, I just started playing with the source to try and scratch my own itch. You don't have to understand the whole stack at once. If there is something you are interested in, just focus on that part, the rest will come as needed. Even today, I can't keep everything in my head at once. If I haven't worked on some part of the stack in a while, I usually need to spend some time paging that part of the stack back into my head.

Thats weird, because TF2 runs very good in my pc. Of course, I have "r600 back-end" activated and the DPM thing too.
    I also had radeon.dpm=1 set and R600_DEBUG=sb set in my /etc/environment so wouldn't need to set it on a per game basis. Also had SwapbuffersWait set to False in xorg.conf.

Still couldn't achieve over 10 fps even at 800x600.

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    I also had radeon.dpm=1 set and R600_DEBUG=sb set in my /etc/environment so wouldn't need to set it on a per game basis. Also had SwapbuffersWait set to False in xorg.conf.

Still couldn't achieve over 10 fps even at 800x600.
    If you are running a 32-bit game on a 64 bit distro, make sure the 32-bit version of your 3D drivers are up to date.