Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leadwerks: GDB Is Annoying; Editor Using GTK

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Got any sources for that lovely bit of FUD there, Michael?

And yeah, it seems like someone really ought to have RTFM here. Why do we even need to tell developers this.
    http://linux-debugger-bits.blogspot....-on-linux.html

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...e-coming-soon/

"When we talk to developers and say, 'if you can pick one thing for Valve to work on the tools side to make Linux a better development target,' they always say we should build a debugger," he said.
    http://www.redditforum.com/threads/5...linux-debugger

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/val...for_linux.html
    Last edited by deanjo; 11-09-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Qt was mentioned on the Leadwerks Twitter page.... https://twitter.com/Leadwerks Just forgot to put extra link in article.

"QT forces us to rewrite our program to fit their structure, instead of just easily plugging into our code."
    OK, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwhaynes View Post
    I was saddened not to be able to comment on the original blog post - I've used gdb for years for many tasks, and it's perfectly suited to debugging in all the scenarios I ran into. If you want something more GUI oriented, I would recommend
    ... nemiver, kgdb, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by log0 View Post
    From what I see, there is not a single line mentioning GDB in all these links.
    There is in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sartain
    I actually like (most of) gdb and use it all the time.
    this doesn't rhyme with this tough

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larabel
    and game developers have found this GNU debugger to be crap

There are some good gdb front-ends out there. Does this developer not know about them? I too don't use gdb directly, since CLI is not good enough for debugging. I need to always have the information I need on the screen without having to scroll through a text terminal. And a front-end allows for that.

It would seem that this developer doesn't know enough about Linux to actually be porting games to it.

Default After all the bullsh*t i saw in the comments i had to reply

For all of you saying that those developers don't know about Linux enough to develop for it the only thing i have to say is:
    - knowing about Linux is different of knowing about the many GUI for GDB (which happens to be a GNU Project not a Linux foundation one)
    - GDB (CLI version and the basic GUI versions that come in IDEs like codeblocks) _is_ limited when compared to VS10+ or the Intel debugger
    - the fact that you have to know that you have to disable a driver when installing other is not something a Linux user shouldn't be proud of

Instead of saying things that can make those guys abandon ship, support them by giving them tips on how to improve their productivity

Eh, I too find GDB to be better than VS's debugger. But I agree it's unintuitive and not too discoverable.

I'm pretty sure code::blocks use a deprecated annotation mechanism in gdb. He should really update to a modern IDE or use a standalone gdb frontend. Eclipse, Kdevelop, qtcreator or emacs is using the better modern mecanism.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
    For all of you saying that those developers don't know about Linux enough to develop for it the only thing i have to say is:
    - knowing about Linux is different of knowing about the many GUI for GDB (which happens to be a GNU Project not a Linux foundation one)
    - GDB (CLI version and the basic GUI versions that come in IDEs like codeblocks) _is_ limited when compared to VS10+ or the Intel debugger
    - the fact that you have to know that you have to disable a driver when installing other is not something a Linux user shouldn't be proud of

Instead of saying things that can make those guys abandon ship, support them by giving them tips on how to improve their productivity
    So what are the limitations of the GDB (not the CB gui for it) compared to CDB and IDB?