Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13-Way AMD Open Linux GPU Drivers On The Source Engine

Default updating llvm

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Depends on your distribution. On Slackware it is: Download the source, adapt the version number in the SlackBuild script, run it and install the generated package.
    On other distributions you will do that different, for example on Debian or Ubuntu just do a web search for "how to backport" or something similar.
    Its even easier in times of the build service. Go here:

http://software.opensuse.org/search?...upported=false

Choose your distro from the drop-down-menu (click on the wrench). Currently selected is opensuse 13.1. Then search for llvm or for whatever this package is called on your distro. Then download the package and install it (normaly by just klicking on it). For suse you even have these 1-click-install buttons online.

Michael thank you again for those proper gaming benchmarks. Thats why it is important to test test source-engine's and other not open source games. To see in realistic situations what challenges the open-source drivers face.

Of course Xonotic and other FOSS games are good to measure any improvements made from release to release but only for that.

6450 performance is very poor, I won't buy that card

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    But I have observed in benchmarks using Catalyst drivers (both Linux and Windows) that 4890 is usually in par with 5870 and 6770. No idea about 7000 and newer.
    Yeah, it depends a lot on the workload mix. As a very rough approximation I would expect more shader-intensive games to do better on the 5830 and older games (where clocks & rops matter more) to do better on the 4890, so the relative performance of the two cards would change over time as more shader-intensive games became common.

Yeah, Iíve been disapointed by the performance of the 5450 and 6450 in the benchmarks. They are interesting because they are the only low-power, silent, low profile and single slot Radeon cards, but their performance in 1080p makes them almost useless based on the benchmarks Iíve seen on Phoronix.

Which is why Iíve turned my attention to the 6670 and 7750, even though the single-slot ones are not fanlessÖ

PS: any chance to have the one minute edit limit removed, or at least increased significantly?

Quote Originally Posted by rudregues View Post
    6450 performance is very poor, I won't buy that card
    Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    Yeah, Iíve been disapointed by the performance of the 5450 and 6450 in the benchmarks. They are interesting because they are the only low-power, silent, low profile and single slot Radeon cards, but their performance in 1080p makes them almost useless based on the benchmarks Iíve seen on Phoronix.
    You have to understand that the HD6450 is not a gaming GPU in the first place, it's the absolute lowest of the low in the Caicos line. Also, Michael is probably using the DDR3 HD6450 instead of the GDDR5 version.

I'm using an HD6450 (DDR3 version) which doesn't work with open source drivers, but works pretty good with latest Catalyst beta.

What's with every r600 card regressing? Is nobody using those anymore and reporting bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    What's with every r600 card regressing? Is nobody using those anymore and reporting bugs?
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64781
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1239233
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1237105

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post

Which is why Iíve turned my attention to the 6670 and 7750, even though the single-slot ones are not fanlessÖ
    Is that what you are considering buying? I'm looking at those, too, but also the 6770 and 6850. Would you or anyone else recommend any of those cards?

It still is unbelievable to me that the 7xxx cards are still not functional enough. I prefer a single slot card or at least, not one of the oversized cards (see 6870). It won't fit in my case, unfortunately.

The problem, too, is that the 6770 cards are still expensive and 6850, one has to buy used.