Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

Hybrid View

Default A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

Phoronix: A Lot Of New NVIDIA Linux Benchmarks Are Coming!

A number of new NVIDIA GeForce graphics card reviews under Linux are underway along with many more Linux GPU driver analysis articles, etc. NVIDIA has just sent over to Phoronix a number of new high-end graphics cards...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxNDE

I will never understand why AMD doesn't send samples too
    Maybe because their proprietary linux driver sucks so much that they fear bad publicity
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    I will never understand why AMD doesn't send samples too
    Maybe because their proprietary linux driver sucks so much that they fear bad publicity
    That last benchmarked showed the opposite: AMD's proprietary Linux driver massively outperformed NVIDIA's binary blobs in TF2. Considering Valve is supposed to be closely working with NVIDIA engineers with porting the source engine and optimizing OpenGL, something sounds amiss here.

Good job Nvidia, now some documentation please!

Default Yes!

I've been looking to buy a new graphics card for some time. I've traditionally only bought NVIDIA, but with the price differences, latest review of the AMD cards and the progress being made on open source ATI drivers I had started to go down the AMD path. Now with this information perhaps I can justify sticking with NVIDIA.

NVIDIA... how about just open sourcing your driver? That would fix pretty much everything, you'd get easy access to all kernel GPL symbols and contributions for supporting wayland, mir, etc. much faster than trying to do it all yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by sheldonl View Post
    NVIDIA... how about just open sourcing your driver? That would fix pretty much everything, you'd get easy access to all kernel GPL symbols and contributions for supporting wayland, mir, etc. much faster than trying to do it all yourself!
    Wouldn't that mean having to use gallium or mesa, which means their OpenGL would suddenly start to suck and there wouldn't be any OpenGL 4.4 anymore? I doubt that NVIDIA could just dump their code into mesa.

Quote Originally Posted by sheldonl View Post
    They cannot do it due to intellectual property stuff and patents...

The best thing they can do is focus on Nouveau the most they can.

Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    That last benchmarked showed the opposite: AMD's proprietary Linux driver massively outperformed NVIDIA's binary blobs in TF2. Considering Valve is supposed to be closely working with NVIDIA engineers with porting the source engine and optimizing OpenGL, something sounds amiss here.
    Stop playing simple games and start playing something more demanding: you will see a completely different world
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Default Benchmark wishlist

Now that you have these high end cards, including the 290 you bought (hopefully someone else kindly donates their 290X!); and given the following facts:

1) Ubiquitous SteamOS with 65 Million customers a sizeable chunk of whom are now curious about Linux to due to publicity.
    2) Non-Source Engine AAA games starting to enter the Linux game market pushing game fidelity in our hardware.
    3) Mantle on the horizon for Linux as well (Johan of DICE mentioned our platform a few times in his presentation yesterday; so we may see some if not all forthcoming DICE games on Linux through SteamOS)

Could you include in your benchmarks the following:
    1) Ensure 1920 x 1080p resolution is the focus of the benchmark and not higher resolutions (SteamOS will be targeting the living room for Full HD TVs)
    2) All UNIGINE OpenGL tests. Every single one of them (perhaps dial up the settings to the maximum).
    3) Metro Last Light on max settings
    4) Wargame Airland Battle on max settings
    5) LFD2 on max settings
    6) Heat and noise stability using GpuTest's Furmark, TessMark, and GiMark; this is so comparisons can be made with the same cards performance under Windows.

Kindest regards and we are looking forward to your tests in whatever shape or form you choose!

Lucky you! I think the GTX 780 Ti isn't even supported on Linux, yet. At least the NVIDIA driver search doesn't spit out a compatible driver.

Benchmarks I'd like to see.

GTX Titan on high end AMD CPU and on high end Intel CPU. People say that it's better to buy an AMD CPU for your gaming rig since they cost 100 USD less than Intel and the CPU isn't that important. I think a 1600p benchmark on a high end NVIDIA card should clear that up. My guess is that on Intel hardware it will do much better.

I'd also like to see a SLI benchmark. The last benchmark I found was from 2007 on phoronix but other than that you don't find ANY information about how dual GTX 680s or a GTX 690 performs on Linux with the newest driver compared to Windows. I have been thinking about getting a second used GTX 580 which should be faster (if they scale well on Linux on high resolution) than selling my GTX 580 an buying a GTX 770 which would cost about the same.