Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Hybrid View

Default Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Phoronix: Is All Hope Lost For Non-Android Linux Tablets?

Canonical with their Ubuntu Touch initiative isn't the only project that's failed to deliver as of yet with a successful non-Android Linux tablet...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUxNTc

What a childish headline. Citing some miserable unsuccessful projects (which not many really knew or cared about) doesn't justify such a claim.

The KDE Vivaldi tablet is actually having a countdown and launching within a few days it seems. Although I doubt this will be too successful, I think Ubuntu Touch will really be pretty great.

Ubuntu touch is the only real hope for a non-Android Linux tablet. It is very very hard but you never know.

Ubuntu Tablet didn't have a single stable release, not even a beta. How could it fail being not-yet-released?!

What about full windows 8 x86 tablet? You should be able to boot and install any linux distro on those.
    Something like the dell venue 8 pro or the Asus T100.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    The KDE Vivaldi tablet is actually having a countdown and launching within a few days it seems.
    Damn, you are right! Hmm, maybe a new Christmas present for me?

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    The KDE Vivaldi tablet is actually having a countdown and launching within a few days it seems. Although I doubt this will be too successful, I think Ubuntu Touch will really be pretty great.
    From the page source:

Code:
    <!-- p.s. No, it's not the Vivaldi tablet .. however the efforts were not wasted  -->
    So pretty mysterious. We should know at 5 pm UTC on the 25th.

Also, it looks like the http://makeplaylive.com/ domain name was re-registered to Aaron Seigo personally on Oct 18th, so whatever is happening is almost certainly plasma active-related. Given that, I would assume either some sort of hardware announcement (tablet or phone), an announcement of an easy way to put plasma active on existing devices (like the cyanogenmod installer or a deal with the Tizen group), or a deal with a manufacturer to make plasma active available as an option (like Samsung or someone else getting fed up with google).

Default All hope is lost for Phoronix

No, but maybe all hope is lost for Phoronix? lol. Seriously? Firefox OS will rock your pants beginning in 2015.