Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Crash with mplayer compilation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default Crash with mplayer compilation

    Hi I have a problem with the universe benchmark cause it crash with the mplayer compilation.
    It compiles well without the phoronix test suite.
    I'm running opensuse 10.3 64 bits.
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    Does not crash on compilation here using openSUSE 10.3 x64 as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Does not crash on compilation here using openSUSE 10.3 x64 as well.
    I don't understand cause it compiles well with kernel and many more.
    My pc is stable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,587

    Default

    It would be nice if the compilation could be observed and not have it surpressed to troubleshoot the compilation problems

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I had similar problems, which I tracked down. mplayer probably failed due to RAM usage. I ran this first on a system with 2GB of RAM and probably 1GB swap (not modern -- a Compaq SP750 with dual P3-866s.. an AMD Phenom on the site is exactly 5x faster per core, 10x faster overall due to having twice the cores... but the SP750 sure seems snappy.) No problems. I then tried running it on my home systems, which are much newer Athlon XPs.. they essentially locked up. Well, these have 512MB of RAM and 1.5GB swap instead, one I had top running on showed all 20 or so processes as "cc1" before it started thrasing too hard for even update top. I'd guess mplayer bench died for you because you have somewhere in the 512MB-2GB range of RAM and instead of swapping to death it just plain was out of memory and killed some copies of cc1.

    I found the phoronix-test-suite has uses of "NUM_CPU_JOBS" through it, but the variable's never set. The builds run "make -j $NUM_CPU_JOBS foo.." Make's "-j" option sets how many jobs (usually copies of gcc) to run at once.. and "-j" by itself means an unlimited number. So, the mplayer build lets like 50 gcc's fire off at once and the system runs out of RAM.

    I ran "export NUM_CPU_JOBS=2" before running the phoronix test suite and the compiling looks much more under control. (Adjust NUM_CPU_JOBS as appropriate to your number of cores etc.. I used 3 on my hyperthreader.
    Last edited by hwertz; 04-19-2008 at 02:12 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,678

    Default

    Very interesting, I did not know that -j alone means unlimited, I could have found that too, well I just added a bit more swap

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Hi i ran the command before running the test and it just works. Thank you

  8. #8

    Default

    Oops, this will be fixed in git. I didn't realize I changed the variable from NUM_CPU_JOBS to SYS_CPU_JOBS for what was being exported.... I'll turn it back to NUM_CPU_JOBS so that all the scripts should be working again properly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •