Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: AMD Puts Out A New Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    By the way, weeks ago a new legacy Catalyst 13.9 driver was released for Windows 7. Windows 8 and Linux users are still stuck with 13.1

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    I also expect R9 290 improvements, but that is something for Michael to try.
    Yesterday I bought XFX R9 290, and tried both drivers (this one and previous), there is no noticeable difference in Sam3. Also, OpenGL driver build number is same in both drivers.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    By the way, weeks ago a new legacy Catalyst 13.9 driver was released for Windows 7. Windows 8 and Linux users are still stuck with 13.1
    I tried 13.9-legacy on my test PCs win Win7, it does not changes anything, still same bugs as with 13.1-legacy.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmaxx View Post
    test PCs win Win7
    test PCs with Win7*

    Seems like AMD waiting for next stable driver release and then also release a legacy driver.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonmaxx View Post
    I tried 13.9-legacy on my test PCs win Win7, it does not changes anything, still same bugs as with 13.1-legacy.
    What kind of bugs?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    It's called open source radeon drivers. You should try it some time; works a lot better.
    I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.
    1) Did You tested 2D perf in both scenarios? Maybe r600g do not need to overclock it?
    2) File bug. Get to IRC. Maybe You will even get fix in 3h time

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.
    The open source drivers for AMD are so good for legacy GPUs that I was even able to use an ancient ATI RV370 from 2004 in a nearly 10 year old eMachine with Ubuntu 12.04.3 smoothly rendering Unity3D, and it actually ran a lot faster than a bare Xfce session or Unity2D.

    Meanwhile, my HD 4870 machine runs pretty awesomely with open source drivers; certainly better than Catalyst does on that card. Only thing is, to get the most out of open source drivers you do need to create an Xorg.conf, and it is a good idea to have the latest kernel.

    My Radeon HD 7950 runs fairly well on open source now, but it's still much better to use Catalyst. This new Catalyst driver fixed a lot of bugs I had with the last beta.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    278

    Default

    how it works on unity? 2d performance? flash?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Reading the 290 review, Catalyst driver still lacks a lot of performance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •