Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD Puts Out A New Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver

Just tried it on mine(290x).

Yuotube vids full screen still a slide show. Not tested any games yet apart from valley benchmark. No difference in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    This driver now officially supports Linux 3.12 and should work with non-Ubuntu distributions aswell. I also expect R9 290 improvements, but that is something for Michael to try.
    The previous release is working fine with 3.12. You just had to make sure that you didn't compile the kernel with CONFIG_UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS. This release is just a micro bug fixes release. Unless some undocumented enhancement is there, no chance the R9 290 situation will improve.

With recent AMD moves to open up hw specs and adding devs to the open source driver effort I think that AMD long term goal for the drivers is obvious.

However the transitory period is very painful. Each driver has its strength and weaknesses.

Want good opengl perf and good opencl 1.2: Catalyst
    Want HW video decoding: open source

I just found out that xvba not only do not support MPEG4, it just doesn't work at all for some time:
    http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=950

I have a dream. Next week AMD will announce that it fully release the source code of catalyst. It that was to happen in less than a week, AMD would rule Linux graphics world with all the volunteers around the world fixing bugs and improving perfs. (It took less than 3 days after AMD release HDA controller for HDMI sound to have a working 7.1 HDMI sound driver!) Just dreaming....but would the best thing to happen for AMD product Linux owner...

Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    It's called open source radeon drivers. You should try it some time; works a lot better.
    They only understand the wallet voting. So just hang in there and when you upgrade your system avoid AMD hardware. And tell your friends to do the same. Show them what you think about their way of making legacy...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    They only understand the wallet voting. So just hang in there and when you upgrade your system avoid AMD hardware. And tell your friends to do the same. Show them what you think about their way of making legacy...
    Right embrace Nvidia's open source policies they are soo much better. oh wait...
    If you want faster AMD development ie more devs then buy more AMD products and when taking the survey make sure to specify Linux.

At last a working blob for a non Ubuntu 3.12 kernel!

openSuSE 13.1 x64 here, Kernel 3.12, Xorg server 1.14.3, Mesa 10.1 git, KDE 4.11.3, ATI Radeon HD 5850

Update: OpenGL 3.1 profile works finally at Kwin's properties! 2D with it and Raster color profile is much smoother than the past

Unigine Heaven 4.0 works better here than in Win 7 x64, on the contrary Valley is very slow here whereas at Win 7 it flies!

Installed via the automatic procedure (no package creation) amd installer.

No artifacts and bugs noticed yet

Quote Originally Posted by djdoo View Post
    openSuSE 13.1 x64 here, Kernel 3.12, Xorg server 1.14.3, Mesa 10.1 git, KDE 4.11.3, ATI Radeon HD 5850
    Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).
    I am an old one my friend! I used to translate compiz-fusion at Greek language back those days with Cyberorg from openSuSE building the packages and merging the strings. If you look at the defunct Compiz forums you will find me!

Quote Originally Posted by djdoo View Post
    I am an old one my friend! I used to translate compiz-fusion at Greek language back those days with Cyberorg from openSuSE building the packages and merging the strings. If you look at the defunct Compiz forums you will find me!

SO YOU'RE THE GUY!!!! Man do I have a bone to pick with you... just kidding. Glad you have started frequenting the forums here. We need more old timers coming over as there are several misconceptions about oS here (such as *buntu being a refined distro).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
    Right embrace Nvidia's open source policies they are soo much better. oh wait...
    And where exactly did you see me saying: "AMD policy on discontinuing not so old chipsets sucks" => "Nvidia's open source policies are better" ? Please provide a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFoss View Post
    If you want faster AMD development ie more devs then buy more AMD products and when taking the survey make sure to specify Linux.
    You got it the wrong way around.

BTW, to those proposing switching from Catalyst to FOSS for the "legacy" AMD chipsets - not everyone can afford losing 20% of performance, running low-end hardware (like pre 4xxx).

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Hey, I have been around for a while as well. And I know there are more openSUSE users here, as seen in the default distro voting threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    And where exactly did you see me saying: "AMD policy on discontinuing not so old chipsets sucks" => "Nvidia's open source policies are better" ? Please provide a quote.
    You quoted someone talking about the FOSS drivers.