Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome 35 Beta Adds New Features

Default Google Chrome 35 Beta Adds New Features

Phoronix: Google Chrome 35 Beta Adds New Features

Two days after the Chrome 34 debut, Google has announced the first beta of Chromium 35 Beta...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2MDY

Most importantly, Chrome 35 enables Aura on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Most importantly, Chrome 35 enables Aura on Linux.
    Link please, the blog doesn't mention this.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    They are targeting 35 as the release to replace GTK2 with Aura, but it's not definite.
    As somebody who has been running the Dev channel (35 with Aura) the last couple weeks, It's nice, but it's got some quirks: e.g. some GTK themes that work great with every other application seem to have weird text/background issues with the menu.
    I don't have a discrete graphics card or anything to test the hardware decoding support or anything, though.

aura=ozone=wayland?

Default no more flash in chromium

They're dropping npapi, which means you won't be able to run Flash anymore unless you get Chrome.

Or if you download chrome, manually extract the ppapi flash plugin, and then copy it over into chromium yourself.

Default Google Hypocrisy

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    They're dropping npapi, which means you won't be able to run Flash anymore unless you get Chrome.

Or if you download chrome, manually extract the ppapi flash plugin, and then copy it over into chromium yourself.
    Meanwhile, Google requires Flash to use their own services, including YouTube and Google Voice. At the same time, they promote their technologies like WebM, but don't even encode new videos on YouTube with their own encoder. Shame.

It is not mentioned because they want to keep the option to delay it yet again, but so far all is looking good and it's still enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    They are targetingI don't have a discrete graphics card or anything to test the hardware decoding support or anything, though.
    Runs awesome with my low-end AMD E-350 APU (if you use Mesa, you need to ignore the GPU driver blacklist in about:flags)

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael5 View Post
    aura=ozone=wayland?
    Aura includes Ozone, yes. But the Wayland/Mir backends for Ozone are not 100% done yet and are not yet included. Not sure when that will be, but probably in time for when we have stable Wayland/Mir-based distributions.

Not sure about other distributions, but Ubuntu has the PPAPI Flashplugin packages in the repository now. But I would guess most people use Google Chrome anyway.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/chromium-dev/npapi$20linux/chromium-dev/xEbgvWE7wMk/D_07G2lftacJ

Not sure about other distributions, but Ubuntu has the PPAPI Flashplugin packages in the repository now. But I would guess most people use Google Chrome anyway.
    Flash PPAPI and Google Chrome aren't redistributable like Flash NPAPI. In this case, Adobe should provide a specific version for Chromium (but I don't know if this will happen).

But I would guess most people use Google Chrome anyway.
    Not according to popcon from last August, though admittedly that is a horrible way to measure.

Here are some graphs of popcon values for a few packages as of August:
    Chrome Stable: 263K installs, 20-30K "votes" (i.e. frequent users)
    Chrome Beta: 85K installs, ~300 votes
    Chrome Dev: 35K installs, ~300 votes
    Chromium: 408K installs, 20-40K votes
    For comparison, Firefox: 2.4M installs, 81-172K votes