Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

Default Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

Phoronix: Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

E18 has been in development for nearly one year since the long-awaited Enlightenment E17 release last December. Now it appears that the alpha release of E18 is about ready...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMzY

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Enlightenment E18 Alpha Release Is Imminent

E18 has been in development for nearly one year since the long-awaited Enlightenment E17 release last December. Now it appears that the alpha release of E18 is about ready...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUwMzY
    EFL is about to hit alpha.

E18 is not far away but i don't think anyone knows the date for it yet. Even for an alpha. And it is still missing some really basic stuff that probably won't go in it either.

Glad to see E18 wasn't another E17

In all seriousness though, congratulations to the Enlightenment developers. I'm a KDE fan, but Enlightenment always had a place in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Glad to see E18 wasn't another E17

In all seriousness though, congratulations to the Enlightenment developers. I'm a KDE fan, but Enlightenment always had a place in my heart
    hehe
    people forget it is enlightenment version 0.17, not E version 17

e18 is nice but it forces compositing, so il stick to e17 until things around wayland settle down

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    e18 is nice but it forces compositing, so il stick to e17 until things around wayland settle down
    If you have a problem with forced compositing, then Wayland is not for you at all, since it assumes compositing, AFAIR.

Quote Originally Posted by gens View Post
    hehe
    people forget it is enlightenment version 0.17, not E version 17

They said that e19 (that can use pure wayland) will take less time but knowing E devs this might mean 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    If you have a problem with forced compositing, then Wayland is not for you at all, since it assumes compositing, AFAIR.
    As far as I remember... Full screen apps can request not to be double buffered (bypass compositing). But normal usage does require compositing just to help ensure no tearing and no stuttering

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    As far as I remember... Full screen apps can request not to be double buffered (bypass compositing). But normal usage does require compositing just to help ensure no tearing and no stuttering
    Of course, full screen apps get to bypass compositing (well, it depends on the compositor implementing it, AFAIK). I thought you were referring to the desktop using composition, not that it keeps compositing when running full screen apps.

EDIT: Anyway, it was not you before. I'm really distracted.

Unhappy Interesting news but ...

I am still waiting to hear wtf Project Burrito was or is.

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    compositing under X requires copying things around in memory, so it's cpu consuming and makes delays

compositing under wayland from what i understand is done direct thru DRI
    so it should be really fast, maybe even faster then no compositing under X (as X does final drawing on the cpu)

i'l turn off the bling anyway as a personal preference

@ Ericg

wayland is different in that its clients always render directly (over DRI)
    the real task of "compositing" is done by gpu drivers, wayland compositor just tells them where to put things

under X e18 fullscreen uses DRI
    just like other compositing DE's

i also thought wayland will be bad 'cuz todays compositing is bad