Thread: Mozilla Firefox Enables VP9 Video Codec By Default

Hybrid View

Default Mozilla Firefox Enables VP9 Video Codec By Default

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox Enables VP9 Video Codec By Default

As of yesterday there's now mainline support for using Google's VP9 video codec within the Firefox web-browser...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzODA

As Michael would put it "Version 28 of Firefox will shape up to be a very nice release." I'm really looking forward. Most likely will hit around mid February.

Bloat.

Nobody uses VP9 and no one cares. Mozilla removed the MNG decoder, which has the actual benefit to offer what GIF does but better (>256 colors, alpha channel), because 200kB or so were “too big”.

Default Is VP9 royalty-free?

Well, I just read these news here and searched more about VP9. What wikipedia says:

"Although Google has irrevocably released all of its patents on VP8 as a royalty-free format, the MPEG LA, licensors of the H.264 patent pool, have expressed interest in creating a patent pool for VP8. Conversely, other researchers cite evidence that On2 made a particular effort to avoid any MPEG LA patents. As a result of the threat, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) started an investigation in March 2011 into the MPEG LA for its role in possibly attempting to stifle competition. In March 2013, MPEG LA announced that it had reached an agreement with Google to license patents that "may be essential" for the implementation of the VP8 codec, and give Google the right to sub-license these patents to any third-party user of VP8 or VP9."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM

Question: is VP9 'free' with 'some parts patented' or not? Is this good for firefox? If it's not there's no advantage for firefox change H.264 for VP9, I think...

VP8/9 are free, probably google paid an amount of money to mpeg-la to compensate for eventual patents originally needed by them (but nobody know since the agreement was kept secret, someone also speculated that h.264 infringed vp8 patents). There is no evidence VP8/9 infringe other patents (at least for now), so it is free for Firefox and everyone else.

The problem still is that nobody uses them on the web. Neither are popular in HW decoding chips.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    The problem still is that nobody uses them on the web. Neither are popular in HW decoding chips.
    VP9 is "next gen" and I would guess it has just as much usage on the internet these days as its competitor, h.265.

VP8 was too late to make an impact, but VP9 has an opportunity as its atleast at the starting line around the correct time.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    The problem still is that nobody uses them on the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Nobody uses VP9 and no one cares.
    The biggest player on the web - YouTube - is starting to use it: http://www.youtube.com/html5 . Chrome already support it.

No surprise anyway it still not widely used, since the format was finalized only few months ago, there is no stable release library (1.2 has a slow and buggy implementation, 1.3 with full support should be released soon) and software is starting to support it now.

Quote Originally Posted by rudregues View Post
    Well, I just read these news here and searched more about VP9. What wikipedia says:

"Although Google has irrevocably released all of its patents on VP8 as a royalty-free format, the MPEG LA, licensors of the H.264 patent pool, have expressed interest in creating a patent pool for VP8. Conversely, other researchers cite evidence that On2 made a particular effort to avoid any MPEG LA patents. As a result of the threat, the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) started an investigation in March 2011 into the MPEG LA for its role in possibly attempting to stifle competition. In March 2013, MPEG LA announced that it had reached an agreement with Google to license patents that "may be essential" for the implementation of the VP8 codec, and give Google the right to sub-license these patents to any third-party user of VP8 or VP9."

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM

Question: is VP9 'free' with 'some parts patented' or not? Is this good for firefox? If it's not there's no advantage for firefox change H.264 for VP9, I think...
    It's not really a new codec, just an extension for 4K content.

VP9 and H.265 are extensions of the current VP8 and H.264 respectively for 4K resolutions, when you are dealing with 8.3MPixel of 4K content versus the 2.1MPixel content at 1080p there are allot more things you can tweak to use a lower bitrate and the required 10 bit color gamut of 4K video and still get a better end result from your encode then you do with current methods and only 1080p resolution to work with.

Firefox isn't going to be swapping out anything since these modded codecs are for like I said, very high resolution content, VP8 and H.264 will still be the preferred codecs for 1080p and under content

I don't have Flash installed but use Flashgot on Youtube all the time to purposefully download videos in VP8, if I get a 4K display I'll start downloading VP9 content from them as well.