Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Good-bye Windows!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarex View Post
    I didn't say anything about it being hard to create universal code but that it would be hard, for instance to sneak in a rogue function to lift user names and passwords in a popular open source application because it has many independent distribution channels.

    a side story...

    Windows 2k was my favorite OS to ever come out of Redmond. I bought a professional copy when it was first released installed it on my computer and... well... laughed. I didn't have drivers for my audio card for NT even though it was only a few months old and after I got the driver issue sorted out some games still even broke (Grandia 2). I don't lie about it, it really was my favorite but Windows has had every issue you blast Linux for. Fragmentation between the DOS era and NT OS's as well as DX version lock. Don't get me started on Windows love affair with 32 bit... Hardware issues, driver issues and are you glossing over the hackers paradise XP was? Probably the most exploited OS by a insane factor.

    Since you're calling Linux users geeks I can no longer take anything you say seriously , time to bail thread.
    exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
    Nothing YOU say can be taken seriously if you talk about fragmentation and windows in the same sentence. Windows versions of the same time period are intercompatible and by a huge factor new versions are backwards compatible. Linux versions of the same time period are often fundamentally different in design and operating methods.

    Windows 2000 was never intended to be a consumer OS. It was the successor for NT4 which was business oriented. This is why it didn't have a major push for all sorts of consumer device drivers etc.. from the manufacturers.

    Keep doing facepalm stuff like that childish exit thingy there ROFL!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Simply because Dell is an OEM. It is not a huge corporation that can issue guarantees. M$ drops them an offer under NDA that if they offer 95% of preinstalls and only 5% of other to comply with antimonopoly trust case, then both M$ and Dell profit. This is backed up by the rise of percentage of preinstalled hardware-bound windumbs as Android appeared and produced somehow cloudy "choice". Dell is hardware only, small and not investing into ecosystem. Unlike Valve. Unlike Google. This is why Android succeeded on Mobile. This is why SteamOS will rule Xbox out.
    Dell is not a small corporation lol they can issue all sorts of guarantees for their products and they do. Your problem is deep rooted hate mixed paranoia and refusal to see the reality.

    If preinstallations were illegal and user could freely decide of which OS should he purchase, windows would NEVER get up!
    Uh and why not? Consumers WANT windows thats why they choose windows based computers instead of linux when offered. I know this for a fact because I have migrated 3 families to linux, but it took a huge amount of convincing before they believed that the old stereotypes about the complexity of linux user interface were no longer true. I had to chart all their usage needs and preconfigure the distro for them to include all the _proprietary_ code they needed daily, after which they are using linux happily. If they just bought the machine from the shop they would never in a million years have been able to figure out how to install and configure all the stuff I had to do for them.

    A step up from 1% performance in 2011 to 80%-110% in 2013 relative to catalyst performance without ANY of catalyst bugs is "slow and buggy". Your assumptions just fit your mind pattern.
    Ah so you openly admit the open driver has been a huge train wreck and just recently started to work anywhere at the level the closed source drivers were working all these years? Yeah closed source sucks LOL! You're nuts thats what it is.

    Oh thanks, this comes from whom, from a complete retard like you? A retard issuing retardation certifications? Sounds quite familiar - like microsoft with windows certifications. Ahaha!
    Actually I do make a mistake - but not the crap you are talking up. Because, the status "platinum or gold" requires for the game to run out of the box as per wine appdb rules. Silver may include small non-vital bugs. And only bronze requires any fiddling around - but still the title would run. The mistake I did was to filter ALL applications from windumbs, not just games.
    You're an idiot. Everyone knows that Wine cheats with the ratings and many of the platinum games are buggy as hell on Wine. It's enough to just RUN to get the platinum or gold lol. Nobody mentions anything about running without crashing the whole games worth or having anything else but 5fps slideshow

    If we limit ourself to windumbs games, then the numbers become even more crunchy:
    1971 platinum game
    1803 gold games
    1456 silver games
    ---------
    this makes 5230 games out of 8230, that run out of the box.

    there are 1136 bronze games, that still run, but may require fiddling around, or simply using mouseclicks as with Crossover Games or PlayOnLinux.
    ---------
    this makes 6366 games out of 8230, that run on Linux.

    the garbage portion, that is not working in current wine version is: 1864

    Or in layman terms, Linux runs easily 77,35% of all windows games.
    Only 22,64% of titles may not execute on Linux. This are usually the titles that execute no more on modern windumbs anyway, due to DRM or bindings to libraries that are long broken (like Macromedia Shockwave, nonexistant video codecs etc).

    Realistically, Linux runs 3 out of 5 games out of the box, and 4 ouf of 5 requiring installing some software like Dx library overrides etc.
    The performance with CSMT patch is on par with windumbs now btw.
    Why do you continue with that mindless dribble when everyone knows Wine is a big fail when it comes to games? Even if all those games you list would actually work (which they don't, at least on playable level) they would still constitute about 1% of the game titles available today lol.

    Haha! Well, we have to agree:

    WINDOWS SUCKS.
    We can only agree that you're mentally insane. Insane people are the only ones who fail to see their insanity or clear mistakes like that pointed to them.

    Oh, rly?
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-OpenSuSE-12-3
    Note, that it was in time when ondemand bug was not fixed, hence the Linux performance is lower.
    Actually, this bug still persists on windumbs, if CPU is set to Mobile/Powersave profile instead of Office/Desktop.
    Yes as previously said OpenGL performance sucks on windows, even if you attempt to use a crutch and choose a display card which is originally designed for CAD use and later converted for consumers lol.


    You have nothing to counter? Good!
    Your whole post was so full of fail that it does the job by itself. No need

    And where is update database located? In the rain forest? Or does linux package management act different and searches the internets via browser instances?
    Its located on Microsofts servers. Nothing is downloaded from general internet dumbass.

    And how about CAB?
    And about RAR?
    And about 7z?
    And what about WB/VBS?
    And what about INF?
    Or is tar.gz any different outside of being archive?
    No, tar.gz may contain binaries and no source, unless you know.
    Or is deb or rpm too any different outside of being installation files, exactly same to MSI - archive with description, installation script etc?
    Inf btw is an installation script and usually comes with CAB. Just Inf, Cab and no Exe.

    Fact is - I contributed to WMI and wrote my own installers for installshield. Come, amuse me!
    You're simply insane. Compression methods have nothing to do with distro specific installers. Windows installations are done with UNIVERSALLY WORKING methods where on linux you need to know exactly what your distro needs or in the worst case, compile the whole application or driver yourself.

    If you run noscript in firefox, you generate more problems than solutions, because you can't figure out what exactly the scripts are doing and most of the websites use JS.
    LOL wtf are you talking about? I have never countered a website that I would need that wouldn't be easily configurable. If the site doesnt work without js I simply choose an another website. If the website has links to youtube or other known provider like vimeo, I can make an exception for those. I never enable any scripts that point to Google or other advertisers naturally. Noscript is excellent and it stops all drive-by attacks to their tracks.

    The wiser plugin is Ghostery, but it will not protect against faulty JS. Only way to protect is disable Java, disable Flash, disable JS and live in Cave, erm, localhost. This is the story about living without AV in windumbs. Even then, you have to disallow usage of USB sticks, because its really hard to cut the Autorun and even lastest windumbs autoexecutes .infs. Same story over and over again.
    Noscript is all thats needed as it disables any Java etc. from running. Besides I never install Java to my windows computers its totally unnecessary. And I never plug any USB sticks to my computers which are not my own and used only on my own computers lol. Thats a basic security principle.

    Btw, what you wrote about checking infections is completely retarded, because will be checking an infected machine and some malware infects NTFS streams and OEM recovery partitions. Also most of the malware I know, injects itself into ANY binaries that exist on the system, including those contained in ANY archive it finds (rar, 7z, zip etc) and some encrypts harddrive.
    Thats all nice but I have never seen any of those so continue to live in delusional fears by all means. Nothing you write affects checking a computer from a boot dvd because the check is done using a different OS lol.

    Oh, the funny stuff I forgot for good!


    Failed to read any hack fest statistics?
    Social engineering is like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7O_ipt9EU
    And trojan threats of WHAT?
    You sound like a typical Mac user who thinks his Mac is impervious to attacks just because nobody bothered to make them YET lol. Your link is such a fail anyway as the attack is targeted towards the common OS, not your marginal piece of shit you use. If linux some day will reach, say, popularity of OSX it will get socially engineered attacks such as 'animated puppy screensaver' which contain a payload and which every granny on the planet will gladly install. If they ever will use linux that is.


    Sure. Next step would you be offering me advices? I take no advices from hole-exploited people, haha, thanks!
    Denial of facts, sticking to your delusions. Go seek advice, seriously.

    Why, OpenXCom had 1-click installer. VLC had 1-click installer. GSmartctrl had 1-click installer. Even upgraded drivers for Opensuse from pontostroy have 1-click installer. So rare as your arguments?
    OOOH about 0.001% of software has 1 click installers? 1 click which works on which distros? Debian Lenny, Wheezy? Ubuntu? Arch? OpenSUSE? Insert random distro here. WOW! Compare that to 99.99% of Windows installers being 1 click (and spare the retarded complaining on having to accept EULA next next which you whiners always do).

    You still download software from internets? Haha, still trying to win? Don't make me laugh!
    Too bad 99% of the software on this planet are distributed through internet. Your puny sources contain a ridiculously limited amount of software - and if anyone cared they could be infiltrated with malicious code real easy. http://www.securityweek.com/linux-so...rg-gets-hacked PWNED!

    Never heard of anything like that - details please, or never happend (tm).
    Keep hiding your head in the bushes for all I care. This happens almost every time if you try to install some interesting older project which is no longer supported by the developer.

    Gnome3, MATE, KDE(any version), Fx, LibreOffice, gThumb, Okular/Evince, PlayonLinux, Dosbox, Virtualbox, GIMP, Blender, Xsane, Gnome games, MediaInfo, VLC, Filezilla, Liferea, Code::Blocks, Peazip are commercially backed by CLOSED SOURCE software providers?? Wtf? Everyone makes money in the prime time, it could be for coding or for selling copies - that are the principle differences. Developer-hit-by-bus argument much more applies to proprietary model, because he has his "secrets", capisce?
    LOL! Gnome, MATE etc. are not used by the majority of the planet and theyre considered as parts of linux environment. Its obvious youre grasping for straws just to find SOME examples of open source that isn't a total train wreck. So everyone makes money in the prime time doing what? WRITING CLOSED SOURCE CODE! LOL! Because thats what brings the food on the table and buys you the laptop with which to do your hobbies in the evening! It's painfully obvious you have no idea how corporations function if you think closed source is closed within the company personnel loool! All code is stored, reviewed and worked upon by all the necessary developers. It makes no difference if a single dev gets hit by a bus because a new one will be HIRED to take his place. On open source NOBODY will be hired to take anyones place. So if nobody is interested enough to waste his time with the project, it will simply die quietly as most open source projects do, sadly.

    not. Simply because you were too dumb to realize that the source code has nothing to do with commercial secrets. Regarding communism, do you try to offend Dalai Lama, he is communist you know? Also, why am I "you communist" where I explicitly stated that commercial has nothing to do with proprietary? You are like chicken pong pong. No brains, all reflexes.
    You're an idiot. The only reason for having closed source in the first place is because of business secrets. The ONLY reason. And yes I offend any communists, communism is nothing but oppression wrapped in lies. History shows this. Move to North Korea fucker.

    There is no trouble to keep it backwards compatible, there is trouble to find a paying customer to maintain that outdated code base, - that could work, if it was opensource, but due to M$ policy - you are offered a nice big cup of ... Do you really think, this "flexibility" does commercial supporters a favor??
    The difference between a VM and real binary, is like difference between bare hardware and virtual machine. No metal, all pseudointerfaces. You said, windums has 16 bit code, where it turns out there is none like since death of Chicago?
    You're too retarded to understand that the VM was built there to support 16-bit code and considerable effort is having had all the time to preserve compatibility in new 32-bit OS versions. You twist like a fish on a hook when everyone can see youre already flopping in the boat. The backwards support is built in the OS, period.

    But I do enjoy educating clowns! The time well worth it! Ahahaha!
    As others here have also concluded, you're the only clown in this thread. Full of paranoia, delusions and excuses. I feel sorry for you, really.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Whos is this clown(brosis)?
    Someone who has brains.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Why the F you blame microsoft for linux not having more than 1 percent of market share?
    For anti-competitive company policy since forever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft is sufficient, but more details in spilled by google on single inquiry. Techrights know more details, including OEM NDA preinstall agreements and anti-linux education in walmart when Linux machines were rolled out as a requirement for preinstallation anti-trust. I just know enough to conclude that the company, since its formation, has executed nearly all methods to gain unfair advantage and has been doing it up to today with recent Nokia sabotage.
    Anyone in denial is just in active denial.
    There is no other choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Let me remind one simple thing for your not so smart brains.
    Back in the days when windows was released there were NO LINUX around.PERIOD. And that says it all why microsoft is dominating, why hardware companies don't care about linux driver support, etc.(they don't have to worry about support now because mostly all hardware has some basic support)
    When there was no Linux (or technically Linux was too small), there was this case (or here in native english or here).
    and since 1991, Linux slowly grew up on a market completely dominated by M$.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    And talking about wine and gaming. Seriously lots of AAA games are not included and you have lots of difficulties later when patches/dlc's/whatever for games come out.
    Oh and i forgot, why it's windumbs anyway? All the other bull crap about drivers not working, getting ass raped by launching internet browser I'll just ignore.
    Its windumbs, because this way it is better than winsucks. Why I refer it that way, is answered above, I am completely sure it is justified.
    Regarding first question, sure software breaks, and its fantastic, that Wine has developed this far, it runs games for different platform fresh out of the box.
    The "crap" you try to ignore isn't crap, because windumbs still awesomely ignores simple +x attribute and distinguishes the filetype by extension.
    You can read Alan Cox' Art of Unix programming, if you need more awesome structural analysis of windumbs, he also admires the reason it could keep highest marketshare - they are definitely outside of the technical aspect.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    ...........
    Oh please. You are just blind fanatic. Technically linux wasn't even existing back in 1991 and yet u claim like linux was so awesome that any user could use it. What a bunch of nonsense. Even in 2003 IIRC, when i first start using linux i had to manually mount CDROM. We are going to blame Microsoft for that, right?
    And you are wrong thinking that free OS is the holy awesomeness these days. No, programs that can be used with it is the key. Lack of professional software, lack of AAA games, lack of hardware features that work only in windows, etc.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Oh please. You are just blind fanatic.
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    Technically linux wasn't even existing back in 1991 and yet u claim like linux was so awesome that any user could use it.
    No, definitely not before around 2004. Where did I claim that it was awesome to use it in 1991?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    What a bunch of nonsense. Even in 2003 IIRC, when i first start using linux i had to manually mount CDROM. We are going to blame Microsoft for that, right?
    Yes, you had, but you shouldn't had had to mount CD manually, because prior to HAL there was a bunch of automounters, including manual mount via crontab every 30 seconds, which is quite similar to win9x poll.

    And in MSDOS you had to load CDROM driver (hoping for the best) and run MSDEX in autoexec to attach the drive letter.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoen1x View Post
    And you are wrong thinking that free OS is the holy awesomeness these days. No, programs that can be used with it is the key. Lack of professional software, lack of AAA games, lack of hardware features that work only in windows, etc.
    No, free OS is the holy awesomeness these days. Professional software is present and it can run it by many means even if original developer refused to support the platform. Also, AAA-whatever games do not mean they are any good, neither that they cant run via Wine. Some of the software can be problematic and Linux is not the one to blame, but the marketshare, which was constantly manipulated by M$. I have already written how it works, some of the devs simply pick the OS with largest marketshare as they hope for some kind of a guarantee of success (completely forgetting the harder concurrence and new chances) and funny enough it works now against windows on mobile, because hardly anyone bothers for thin winmobile market.
    Last edited by brosis; 12-28-2013 at 07:03 AM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Yes, you had, but you shouldn't had had to mount CD manually, because prior to HAL there was a bunch of automounters, including manual mount via crontab every 30 seconds, which is quite similar to win9x poll.
    That never worked right.

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    And in MSDOS you had to load CDROM driver (hoping for the best) and run MSDEX in autoexec to attach the drive letter.
    In the old DOS Times i never hat a problem with that.

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    No, free OS is the holy awesomeness these days. Professional software is present and it can run it by many means even if original developer refused to support the platform. Also, AAA-whatever games do not mean they are any good, neither that they cant run via Wine. Some of the software can be problematic and Linux is not the one to blame, but the marketshare, which was constantly manipulated by M$. I have already written how it works, some of the devs simply pick the OS with largest marketshare as they hope for some kind of a guarantee of success (completely forgetting the harder concurrence and new chances) and funny enough it works now against windows on mobile, because hardly anyone bothers for thin winmobile market.
    No thats wrong. You get Professional Software only for Workstations and Server. This Software is mostly limited so a Platform like RHEL. Linux brings only a Snapshot from the Upstream, Software that is not the Repository is for a normal user non existent. On Windows its not a Problem to Ship a Installer that work on Windows 2k up to Windows 8.1.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    That never worked right.



    In the old DOS Times i never hat a problem with that.
    Dos driver polled TSR, issued an interrupt, when the disk was detected and called an interrupt to give it a drive-letter.
    Cron would poll periodically and call a simple binary that would issue a syscall and attach the drive-letter to the drive.
    Its exactly same, how could it be one didn't work, whilst other worked without problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nille View Post
    No thats wrong. You get Professional Software only for Workstations and Server. This Software is mostly limited so a Platform like RHEL. Linux brings only a Snapshot from the Upstream, Software that is not the Repository is for a normal user non existent. On Windows its not a Problem to Ship a Installer that work on Windows 2k up to Windows 8.1.
    Ugh..
    Professional Extra Pro Plus Ultra Master Turbo AAA Premium Expert Ultimate Software. One huge facepalm.
    You probably mean a complete solution, which includes training, software, support, platform delivery, integration, warranty, which runs through a contract?
    In this place, OS plays no role and you canīt "simply" execute it on windows or RHEL, except you "made a copy" silently. Anyway, this is how they work, and they use what they see fit, they are outside of any customer market, they are B2B. Windows was never B2B, trying to set it there is craziness. This is when we see viruses in Siemens-powered nuclear power plant rod control systems.
    You aimed to high for an example, and hence missed. All other lower fruits are within customer market spot.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    So I guess we can conclude that on windows/osx its extremely simple to distribute apps with one universal installer and on linux you have to worry about a gazillion of variables with distros, package managers and versions.

    Try to install Chromium to Manjaro for example, instant qt dependency hell https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=160271 oh and flash playback works for 7 seconds on firefox, then freezes. Same with Mint.

    Yep, looks mainstream ready to me! LOL!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,096

    Default

    Chromium does not look mainstream ready for me, true.
    Same with flash plugin that has confirmed history of permanent vulnerabilities and various issues even on only platform it fully supports (windumbs). Its banned from apple, effectively banned from google (youtube plays via seperate application that shows ads and pulls in html5 stream), and they officially abandoned support for them, and linux too. Proprietary is great, I see it now.

    Farewell.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Chromium does not look mainstream ready for me, true.
    Same with flash plugin that has confirmed history of permanent vulnerabilities and various issues even on only platform it fully supports (windumbs). Its banned from apple, effectively banned from google (youtube plays via seperate application that shows ads and pulls in html5 stream), and they officially abandoned support for them, and linux too. Proprietary is great, I see it now.

    Farewell.
    Banned from Apple? ROFLOL what a joker you are. Funny how my OSX plays flash flawlessly and updates come automatically from Adobe servers. That's how banned it is. But on linux, no support. You pick either broken old or kinda working even older version that has a gazillion unpatched bugs.

    Proprietary is great, for example on AMD graphics proprietary is what, 10 years ahead in development? Open source finally caught up, at least for a while untill new stuff comes along

    Farewell indeed.
    Last edited by ACiD; 01-03-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •