Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: Good-bye Windows!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    I should point out amongst all.. not sure what you would call it other than vitriol, that the Linux ecosystem is freedom. In every aspect, not just the source but I can make my Linux install into whatever the hell I want.

    To those who keep banging the fragmentation drum.

    "Overspecialize and you breed in weakness. It's a slow death." - Major Motoko Kusanagi

    Linux is a very diverse and adaptable monster. Multiple repositories and package managers makes targeting Linux binaries a lot hard than "download this .exe it's real trust me."

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Okay:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...nid=2941120011
    Windows powered - 3 stars.
    Linux powered - 4 stars.

    That, provided, windows has been preinstalled since MSDOS on 100% of machines and 90% from antitrust lawsuit, and had 100% hardware support and did everything to push its own proprietary APIs like WinAPI and Dx, which you still keep insisting on instead of OpenGL.
    So why do you think linux powered computers have not succeeded commercially if they're so good? LOL! Dell was offering linux for years untill they chose to cancel them for low demand.

    What the hell?
    What kind of reason is "linux itself"?
    You accused me of being fundamentalist, but I repeat, you are the fundamentalist - you fail to provide any specific points.
    Example from EEEpc, the most valued critical review among 110 reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R2UVPCY...R2UVPCYCAIGZQO

    Eventually, manufacturers stopped making netbooks, and by that time Microsoft had crippled the form factor (now with better electronics and a 10" screen) with its own crippled version of Windows, and insisting that they all come with 1 G of RAM. Intel finished the job by making netbooks Linux hostile with their latest 2600 Atom based systems.
    ...
    The keyboard is usable, if a bit squishy in its feel. One positive is that Asus put a second function key next to the arrow keys. The biggest complaint typists will have is that the spacing from hand rest to screen is cramped. You may miss when changing rows. The touchpad is one of those with the buttons integrated. The bottom of the touchpad clicks. Click feel is lousy. The pad surface is cramped. I never tested the touch aspect with the supplied Ubuntu, but I can say that with Debian, it is quite good, responding well to swipes, and one through three fingered taps.
    ... where is that "Linux" aspect you are insisting on?...
    ...
    The machine comes with the not-so-capable Intel Graphics 2000 video (it's what comes with Sandy Bridge computers). Linux support is decent, though with Debian, you may want to disable, or remove Xscreensaver.

    All told, a decent machine with basic hardware that gives very good battery life. If you travel, want a very portable, cheap machine that can still get work done without plugging in, this is the one for you.


    Come on, stupid prick, show me where "Linux" fails!
    Linux has less than 1% market share you stupid prick, despite being FREE. IT FAILED HARD. It's too complicated, too fragmented, too buggy. Instead of joining forces to develop one working OS all dumbfucks have to prick around making their own distros which are more or less broken.

    I use AMD 5850 with opensource radeon driver. AHAHAHA!
    OMG the open source radeon driver has been abysmally slow and buggy. Good luck getting about 40% worth of your hardwares performance compared to windows LOOL!

    About 1% idiotism, come!
    WineHQ stats:
    3690 platinum titles
    3186 gold titles
    2856 silver titles
    2415 bronze titles
    and 3936 garbage, with garbage often meaning its broken on *this* version of Wine, but works on different one.
    Its really really easy to use multiple Wine versions for any title and the breakage is happening most due to DRM in games or locale checks.

    The basic math reveals:
    Works: 8457
    Does not work on current version: 3936
    Which is 68,24% against 31,76%, and inside the 31,76% there are 20% of titles that actually work, but broken in current version and only 15% that never worked.
    Example - the third title from top: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=8136
    The first title was broken since age and second title is a try to install .NET installer on Linux, something both stupid and hard.

    Here goes your 1% and nvidia only bullshit, debunked!
    You're officially retarded now. From the 'platinum or gold' titles maybe 10% actually work, the rest are buggy enough to be unplayable. Anyone who ever tried Wine knows this.

    Bluescreens due to atikmdag.sys. Its a freaking fact that AMD drivers suck under windows since forever.
    Also how about this?
    you get 10 million more hits by switching that search to nvidia, dumbass!

    No, but in your quest look in a mirror.
    You want Linux to succeed and insist on Dx, where its proven Dx is quite same in performance and technical level to Dx, whilst being completely cross platform.
    Where did you get 1% makes me laugh even louder, as there are render backends, that are OpenGL, but windows only for the sake of developers being to lazy to implement them on any other platform and software being proprietary, which limits developers to capable. Proprietary rules?? Ahaha! PWNED. Next!
    WTF are you babbling about? I'm not insisting on DX I'm trying to tell you that since 99% of potential customers use WINDOWS THAT USES MAINLY DX, they develop for DX. OpenGL sucks on windows, nobody wants to use it.

    Wrong! Proprietary means - only owner can change anything. So who is to blame for "poor linux support"???! FYI, Gutenprint is available to windows as well. I said proprietary sucks - and it does. PWNED.
    You're pwned by your own words lol. I laugh at you!

    I always wondered what the fsck is this crap?


    And this crap (windows update IS LOOKING OVER NETWORK):


    And even this crap in windows95



    You seem to forget that you are laughing alone, as you have not enough required brains to understand what I told you, similar to inability to understand what building a computer has to do with installing software.
    Are you really that retarded that you don't undestand that windows is searching from the Microsoft update database when it's searching from the net? LOL!

    Practically all driver install packages are delivered as exe?
    What about this - I just typed "realtek driver windows xp" and the first link is "Vista/Win7 (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)"


    Bwahahaha! PWNED.
    Again you self pwn. ZIP is just a compressed file which contains the installation .exe or .msi, most commonly .exe. You're retarded. Do you really think that the .exe disappears by magic just because the setup package happens to be zipped to save bandwith? WTF do you have brain damage or something?

    Regarding this 7 years no antivirus bullcrap, of course you haven't got notice of infection, because you have been ass-raped silently. Its AV that is designed to at least inform you it found something. Recently one of the girls at office I work at has catched malware solely by visiting the website, that stole all Firefox stored passwords, including all backend developer passwords of the whole company! AHAHAHA!
    You're beyond stupid now. First of all if you run noscript on firefox you can _not_ catch any fly-by infections. And your reading comprehension sucks as you failed to read what I wrote about periodically checking my computers for infections lol.

    FYI, these do not exist without reason on wikipedia
    Drive-by infection (windows only), including drive-by emails that open and execute automatically
    Self executing USB infection (windows only)
    Should I educate our stupid windows user more? How about a windows graphics format that is autoexecuted automatically, especially when in attachment?
    Windows graphic format vulnerability

    Windows is known to have over several MILLIONS OF ACTIVE INFECTIONS, while Linux has currently only a bunch of EXPLOITS that require manual attack and can be easily deflected using basic hardening.
    The only reason linux doesnt have attacks is that the 1% user base doesnt interest anyone. Anyone can write a malicious script in 10 minutes that will destroy everything you have in user land. Linux is vulnerable to the same social engineering and trojan threats as any OS youre just too dumb to realize it.

    By running windows without antivirus, you basically are asking for it.
    So, no, hole-exploited you belong!
    Ahahahahahah I havent had any infections for years. I use windows only for games. You just don't know how to use computers, thats the problem.

    LOL, you just proved the fact that proprietary sucks yourself! Congratulations, noob!

    Debian has apt-url, one click install that allows to immediately add the repo to the system, or there is a direct link to package deb which is 1-to-1 of what MSI is (thats microsoft installer binary, in the case you have no clue).

    Suse has 1-click installer that immediately allows to add repo to system AND install package.

    Gentoo, Arch, Exherbo allow to install the package from ports DB, that can pull out and install everything from everywhere automagically.

    And windows noob still browses internets for the malware or adware infected software! AHAHAHAHAHA! PWNED.
    Forests have elves. Those mythical 1 click installers are so rare that some tales of mouth go about but nobody admits seeing those in the wild yet So are you so retarded that you think I'm going to get malware by installing the latest display driver from amd.com? LOOOL youre a pathologic case.

    Software always run with newer distro version for me.
    Maybe because I use FLOSS software, that is packaged as it should be?
    Works for you (tm). The softwares that have lead to huge library hunt have been FLOSS 100% so far.

    Bla bla bla, says the guy who types it from opensource browser (unless he is head damaged to use IE or Opera (which uses libwebkit aka libhml5 engine outsourced from KDE). I also don't see any corporate trash in Gnome3, MATE, KDE(any version), Fx, LibreOffice, gThumb, Okular/Evince, PlayonLinux, Dosbox, Virtualbox, GIMP, Blender, Xsane, Gnome games, MediaInfo, VLC, Filezilla, Liferea, Code::Blocks, Peazip - and they all work magnificently.
    I just told not to start listing the obvious exceptions which are commercially backed by CLOSED SOURCE software providers. Open source doesnt work as a business model, theyre one mans hobby which dies when he decides he has better things to do with his time.

    What secrets?
    Malware?
    Or secrets that lead to creation of over 5000 all-proprietary sub-standards?
    Hard worked code that doesn't sell, because it leads to bullcrap and proprietary companies going bankrupt, whilst opensource companies paid for DEVELOPMENT and not copies flourish?
    Yeah, see that daily.
    I knew you were too dumb to realize that a business cant reveal their secrets to competition. You communist folks dont undestand how business works. PWNED.

    Its a virtual machine dumbass. Its a 16-bit compatibility VM. And its not included in 64-bit version, because maintaining multilib (system32, system64) is so hard for them that they want it to die by telling you to go fuck yourself that "its not supported anymore". Good example of proprietary attitude! Go run in cycles!
    What difference does it make if its a virtual machine retard? It contains the supporting code needed to run 16 bit apps and considerable trouble has been seen to keep this backwards compatibility for each versions of windows.

    You're just a big sack of waste of time.
    Last edited by ACiD; 12-26-2013 at 12:13 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarex View Post
    I should point out amongst all.. not sure what you would call it other than vitriol, that the Linux ecosystem is freedom. In every aspect, not just the source but I can make my Linux install into whatever the hell I want.

    To those who keep banging the fragmentation drum.

    "Overspecialize and you breed in weakness. It's a slow death." - Major Motoko Kusanagi

    Linux is a very diverse and adaptable monster. Multiple repositories and package managers makes targeting Linux binaries a lot hard than "download this .exe it's real trust me."
    Heh, one minute someone is trying to explain how developing for linux is a piece of cake and one installer works for all, then the second someone comes to tell how linux makes it extremely hard for anyone to create universally working code LOL! Make up your minds already.

    The fact is that due to fragmentation linux has become an extremely noob hostile OS with conflicting methods of operation and the internet filled with instructions which sometimes do not even work with the distro they're intended for, depending on the version in question. OSX has shown that you CAN create an easy and simple interfaced OS out of .nix origin. Linux has a lot to learn if they ever want to be widely adopted. Now its solely for geeks OS.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Heh, one minute someone is trying to explain how developing for linux is a piece of cake and one installer works for all, then the second someone comes to tell how linux makes it extremely hard for anyone to create universally working code LOL! Make up your minds already.

    The fact is that due to fragmentation linux has become an extremely noob hostile OS with conflicting methods of operation and the internet filled with instructions which sometimes do not even work with the distro they're intended for, depending on the version in question. OSX has shown that you CAN create an easy and simple interfaced OS out of .nix origin. Linux has a lot to learn if they ever want to be widely adopted. Now its solely for geeks OS.

    I didn't say anything about it being hard to create universal code but that it would be hard, for instance to sneak in a rogue function to lift user names and passwords in a popular open source application because it has many independent distribution channels.

    a side story...

    Windows 2k was my favorite OS to ever come out of Redmond. I bought a professional copy when it was first released installed it on my computer and... well... laughed. I didn't have drivers for my audio card for NT even though it was only a few months old and after I got the driver issue sorted out some games still even broke (Grandia 2). I don't lie about it, it really was my favorite but Windows has had every issue you blast Linux for. Fragmentation between the DOS era and NT OS's as well as DX version lock. Don't get me started on Windows love affair with 32 bit... Hardware issues, driver issues and are you glossing over the hackers paradise XP was? Probably the most exploited OS by a insane factor.

    Since you're calling Linux users geeks I can no longer take anything you say seriously , time to bail thread.
    exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    So why do you think linux powered computers have not succeeded commercially if they're so good? LOL! Dell was offering linux for years untill they chose to cancel them for low demand.
    Simply because Dell is an OEM. It is not a huge corporation that can issue guarantees. M$ drops them an offer under NDA that if they offer 95% of preinstalls and only 5% of other to comply with antimonopoly trust case, then both M$ and Dell profit. This is backed up by the rise of percentage of preinstalled hardware-bound windumbs as Android appeared and produced somehow cloudy "choice". Dell is hardware only, small and not investing into ecosystem. Unlike Valve. Unlike Google. This is why Android succeeded on Mobile. This is why SteamOS will rule Xbox out.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Linux has less than 1% market share you stupid prick, despite being FREE. IT FAILED HARD. It's too complicated, too fragmented, too buggy. Instead of joining forces to develop one working OS all dumbfucks have to prick around making their own distros which are more or less broken.
    If preinstallations were illegal and user could freely decide of which OS should he purchase, windows would NEVER get up!
    We would see other player, OS from Digital Research, keyword Gary Kildal. Probably you will never ever understand this because you are brain limited to research outside of stereotypes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    OMG the open source radeon driver has been abysmally slow and buggy. Good luck getting about 40% worth of your hardwares performance compared to windows LOOL!
    A step up from 1% performance in 2011 to 80%-110% in 2013 relative to catalyst performance without ANY of catalyst bugs is "slow and buggy". Your assumptions just fit your mind pattern.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    You're officially retarded now. From the 'platinum or gold' titles maybe 10% actually work, the rest are buggy enough to be unplayable. Anyone who ever tried Wine knows this.
    Oh thanks, this comes from whom, from a complete retard like you? A retard issuing retardation certifications? Sounds quite familiar - like microsoft with windows certifications. Ahaha!
    Actually I do make a mistake - but not the crap you are talking up. Because, the status "platinum or gold" requires for the game to run out of the box as per wine appdb rules. Silver may include small non-vital bugs. And only bronze requires any fiddling around - but still the title would run. The mistake I did was to filter ALL applications from windumbs, not just games.

    If we limit ourself to windumbs games, then the numbers become even more crunchy:
    1971 platinum game
    1803 gold games
    1456 silver games
    ---------
    this makes 5230 games out of 8230, that run out of the box.

    there are 1136 bronze games, that still run, but may require fiddling around, or simply using mouseclicks as with Crossover Games or PlayOnLinux.
    ---------
    this makes 6366 games out of 8230, that run on Linux.

    the garbage portion, that is not working in current wine version is: 1864

    Or in layman terms, Linux runs easily 77,35% of all windows games.
    Only 22,64% of titles may not execute on Linux. This are usually the titles that execute no more on modern windumbs anyway, due to DRM or bindings to libraries that are long broken (like Macromedia Shockwave, nonexistant video codecs etc).

    Realistically, Linux runs 3 out of 5 games out of the box, and 4 ouf of 5 requiring installing some software like Dx library overrides etc.
    The performance with CSMT patch is on par with windumbs now btw.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    you get 10 million more hits by switching that search to nvidia, dumbass!
    Haha! Well, we have to agree:

    WINDOWS SUCKS.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    WTF are you babbling about? I'm not insisting on DX I'm trying to tell you that since 99% of potential customers use WINDOWS THAT USES MAINLY DX, they develop for DX. OpenGL sucks on windows, nobody wants to use it.
    Oh, rly?
    http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...-OpenSuSE-12-3
    Note, that it was in time when ondemand bug was not fixed, hence the Linux performance is lower.
    Actually, this bug still persists on windumbs, if CPU is set to Mobile/Powersave profile instead of Office/Desktop.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    You're pwned by your own words lol. I laugh at you!
    You have nothing to counter? Good!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Are you really that retarded that you don't undestand that windows is searching from the Microsoft update database when it's searching from the net? LOL!
    And where is update database located? In the rain forest? Or does linux package management act different and searches the internets via browser instances?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Again you self pwn. ZIP is just a compressed file which contains the installation .exe or .msi, most commonly .exe. You're retarded. Do you really think that the .exe disappears by magic just because the setup package happens to be zipped to save bandwith? WTF do you have brain damage or something?
    And how about CAB?
    And about RAR?
    And about 7z?
    And what about WB/VBS?
    And what about INF?
    Or is tar.gz any different outside of being archive?
    No, tar.gz may contain binaries and no source, unless you know.
    Or is deb or rpm too any different outside of being installation files, exactly same to MSI - archive with description, installation script etc?
    Inf btw is an installation script and usually comes with CAB. Just Inf, Cab and no Exe.

    Fact is - I contributed to WMI and wrote my own installers for installshield. Come, amuse me!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    You're beyond stupid now. First of all if you run noscript on firefox you can _not_ catch any fly-by infections. And your reading comprehension sucks as you failed to read what I wrote about periodically checking my computers for infections lol.
    If you run noscript in firefox, you generate more problems than solutions, because you can't figure out what exactly the scripts are doing and most of the websites use JS.
    The wiser plugin is Ghostery, but it will not protect against faulty JS. Only way to protect is disable Java, disable Flash, disable JS and live in Cave, erm, localhost. This is the story about living without AV in windumbs. Even then, you have to disallow usage of USB sticks, because its really hard to cut the Autorun and even lastest windumbs autoexecutes .infs. Same story over and over again.
    Btw, what you wrote about checking infections is completely retarded, because will be checking an infected machine and some malware infects NTFS streams and OEM recovery partitions. Also most of the malware I know, injects itself into ANY binaries that exist on the system, including those contained in ANY archive it finds (rar, 7z, zip etc) and some encrypts harddrive.
    Oh, the funny stuff I forgot for good!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    The only reason linux doesnt have attacks is that the 1% user base doesnt interest anyone. Anyone can write a malicious script in 10 minutes that will destroy everything you have in user land. Linux is vulnerable to the same social engineering and trojan threats as any OS youre just too dumb to realize it.
    Failed to read any hack fest statistics?
    Social engineering is like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7O_ipt9EU
    And trojan threats of WHAT?

    Stop hiding behind imaginary bubbles, girl!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Ahahahahahah I havent had any infections for years. I use windows only for games. You just don't know how to use computers, thats the problem.
    Sure. Next step would you be offering me advices? I take no advices from hole-exploited people, haha, thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Forests have elves. Those mythical 1 click installers are so rare that some tales of mouth go about but nobody admits seeing those in the wild yet So are you so retarded that you think I'm going to get malware by installing the latest display driver from amd.com? LOOOL youre a pathologic case.
    Why, OpenXCom had 1-click installer. VLC had 1-click installer. GSmartctrl had 1-click installer. Even upgraded drivers for Opensuse from pontostroy have 1-click installer. So rare as your arguments?

    You still download software from internets? Haha, still trying to win? Don't make me laugh!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Works for you (tm). The softwares that have lead to huge library hunt have been FLOSS 100% so far.
    Never heard of anything like that - details please, or never happend (tm).

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    I just told not to start listing the obvious exceptions which are commercially backed by CLOSED SOURCE software providers. Open source doesnt work as a business model, theyre one mans hobby which dies when he decides he has better things to do with his time.
    Gnome3, MATE, KDE(any version), Fx, LibreOffice, gThumb, Okular/Evince, PlayonLinux, Dosbox, Virtualbox, GIMP, Blender, Xsane, Gnome games, MediaInfo, VLC, Filezilla, Liferea, Code::Blocks, Peazip are commercially backed by CLOSED SOURCE software providers?? Wtf? Everyone makes money in the prime time, it could be for coding or for selling copies - that are the principle differences. Developer-hit-by-bus argument much more applies to proprietary model, because he has his "secrets", capisce?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    I knew you were too dumb to realize that a business cant reveal their secrets to competition. You communist folks dont undestand how business works. PWNED.
    not. Simply because you were too dumb to realize that the source code has nothing to do with commercial secrets. Regarding communism, do you try to offend Dalai Lama, he is communist you know? Also, why am I "you communist" where I explicitly stated that commercial has nothing to do with proprietary? You are like chicken pong pong. No brains, all reflexes.

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    What difference does it make if its a virtual machine retard? It contains the supporting code needed to run 16 bit apps and considerable trouble has been seen to keep this backwards compatibility for each versions of windows.
    There is no trouble to keep it backwards compatible, there is trouble to find a paying customer to maintain that outdated code base, - that could work, if it was opensource, but due to M$ policy - you are offered a nice big cup of ... Do you really think, this "flexibility" does commercial supporters a favor??
    The difference between a VM and real binary, is like difference between bare hardware and virtual machine. No metal, all pseudointerfaces. You said, windums has 16 bit code, where it turns out there is none like since death of Chicago?

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    You're just a big sack of waste of time.
    But I do enjoy educating clowns! The time well worth it! Ahahaha!
    Last edited by brosis; 12-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD View Post
    Heh, one minute someone is trying to explain how developing for linux is a piece of cake and one installer works for all, then the second someone comes to tell how linux makes it extremely hard for anyone to create universally working code LOL! Make up your minds already.
    Two jews argue. Then they see a rabbi.
    Rabbi, judge us - who is right?

    Rabbi listens to the story of first jew and says - you are right.
    Then he listens to the story of the second jew and says - you are right too.
    You are both right.
    And thats the truth.

    As long as one uses stable library versions and provides ways to building an application, it is easy to create project that works everywhere.
    But, if one tries to build "universal installer", then it would be impossible, because you can't create static balance within non-static, changing world. The balance is static due to constant dynamism from both sides. Every atom or constellation works like that, not just software.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Whos is this clown(brosis)?
    Why the F you blame microsoft for linux not having more than 1 percent of market share? Let me remind one simple thing for your not so smart brains.
    Back in the days when windows was released there were NO LINUX around.PERIOD. And that says it all why microsoft is dominating, why hardware companies don't care about linux driver support, etc.(they don't have to worry about support now because mostly all hardware has some basic support)
    And talking about wine and gaming. Seriously lots of AAA games are not included and you have lots of difficulties later when patches/dlc's/whatever for games come out.
    Oh and i forgot, why it's windumbs anyway? All the other bull crap about drivers not working, getting ass raped by launching internet browser I'll just ignore.
    Last edited by phoen1x; 12-26-2013 at 05:55 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    That's a bunch of nonsense. You're confusing two separate issues. One is the willingness of commercial software developers to develop and sell for Linux, and the other separate issue is OS bundling at the OEM level. Don't confuse them.
    They are not separate issues. It's a chicken-and-egg problem. People don't want to spend the time and effort to develop for Linux because the user-base isn't there and the users aren't there because the software they want isn't available. Difficulty of development is a non-issue. It's not like Valve had all of the tools they needed to make working on developing games in Linux as convenient as it was in Windows, but because the open-source vendor neutral qualities of Linux suddenly became more valuable to them they decided it was worth it to spend the effort improving/making the tools they needed. The fragmentation of Linux didn't matter. Do you honestly think that the ease of deployment for commercial software on Linux wouldn't dramatically improve the minute software vendors decided it was worth doing?

    I can tell you right now I'm excited for Valve's investment in the platform due to the snowball effect. As they invest in Linux and make an easier platform for people to develop games for they will bring more users and more interest from developers, and these things will feed off each other to make Linux a better experience for all of us. Windows is being propped up by the massive ecosystem of third party software developers that are invested in it. If Linux had even a quarter of the same level of interest we would see some truly amazing things happening. (not that Linux isn't amazing as is, I can't believe the quality relative to the number of developers already)

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4

    Default what a typical flame war :)

    I have been using Linux - mostly RedHat/Fedora - as a desktop for more than 10 years now. I cannot imagine working on anything else anymore, and as the matter of fact, whenever I have to touch a Windows machine, it manages to drive me totally crazy in a matter of minutes: I see it as a big broken mess that tries to look user friendly, while all it does in reality is simply hiding all errors and warnings from me that it thinks I would not understand anyway. I get it that it works for most people, but it just does not work for me.

    However, I am sane enough to understand that Linux is not for everyone. As the matter of fact: it is only for a few. Just for example: for my Yoga Touch, I still have to compile the network driver that I have to pull from git. I cannot pinch zoom. The screen does not auto rotate. The SD card reader only works with a staging driver. For the screen brightness to work, I had to mangle the grub config... and so on and so on. If this was Windows, it wouldn't even be called a release candidate. And yet I love it, because I can control every bit that comes in and goes out. And because I know what I am doing, and I can bend it here and there. (...and because I don't play with games, as I consider them a waste of time.)

    Oh, and before anyone would jump in here and say why this or that isn't the fault of Linux and/or Linux developers, but that of the OEMs, hw vendors, patents, etc... seriously, who cares? Does it make you happy if the food poisoning you got at a restaurant wasn't the cook's fault, but that of the supplier of the eggs? Would that fact make you vomit less, or what?

    There are things Linux is best for. There are people for whom it is the perfect desktop OS. But please... fanboyism hurts my brain. Just be objective!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fagzal View Post
    whenever I have to touch a Windows machine, it manages to drive me totally crazy in a matter of minutes: I see it as a big broken mess that tries to look user friendly, while all it does in reality is simply hiding all errors and warnings from me that it thinks I would not understand anyway. I get it that it works for most people, but it just does not work for me.
    Be objective eh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •