Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GParted 0.17 Supports Online Resizing

Default GParted 0.17 Supports Online Resizing

Phoronix: GParted 0.17 Supports Online Resizing

GParted 0.17.0 was released today and its key feature is support for online resizing of file-systems along with other bug fixes and updates...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTUzOTM

I find software RAID support to be a bigger deal - it kind of surprises me it took so long.

Software Raid mdadm is so common these days... gparted really needs to fully support mdadm raid !

To online resizing, I only have to say... Fucking finally!

Quote Originally Posted by xeekei View Post
    To online resizing, I only have to say... Fucking finally!
    Yeah. Now we just need people to realize that resizing is a professional RAID feature. One of those don't-try-this-at-home-kids things.

"I resized a partition and now my PC/laptop won't boot" was one of the most common complaints I saw on Ubuntu Forums along with "WiFi doesn't work" and "I tried to set up dual boot and lost all my data".

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Yeah. Now we just need people to realize that resizing is a professional RAID feature. One of those don't-try-this-at-home-kids things.

"I resized a partition and now my PC/laptop won't boot" was one of the most common complaints I saw on Ubuntu Forums along with "WiFi doesn't work" and "I tried to set up dual boot and lost all my data".
    Yeah, I dare not resize any partition with data in it. Back in the days when i used windows, i used to defrag and make sure nothing was at the end of the partition before i shrink it, but one does not do that with ext4, rite?

Quote Originally Posted by busukxuan View Post
    Yeah, I dare not resize any partition with data in it. Back in the days when i used windows, i used to defrag and make sure nothing was at the end of the partition before i shrink it, but one does not do that with ext4, rite?
    Yeah, such a feature requires plenty of warnings, and possibly a "safe resize (slow)" option that will migrate all data that would be affected to a better place on the partition (i.e., a relocate-to-front (or end if that's how the resize goes) defragment).

I've lost my data due to resizing only once, and it was NTFS. Thank god I have R-Studio.

I've resized partitions all the time whether they be FAT, NTFS, EXT3/4, swap, or HFS. I've personally never had corrupt data, even on a RAID0 setup. Generally, I make clones of the disks before I do it, just because there is a big risk.

With the hundreds of resizes I've done over the years, I've never lost any data or ran into any issues whatsoever. I think one thing that might have contributed to my success with resizing is the fact that any time I resize a NTFS partition I make sure to do it right in Windows, this is what I was recommended to do on any Windows Vista or higher NTFS partition and I have had no reason not to keep doing it that way.