Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Activision Is Preventing A Game From Coming To Linux

Default Activision Is Preventing A Game From Coming To Linux

Phoronix: Activision Is Preventing A Game From Coming To Linux

A game studio has shared publicly that Activison is preventing a new game from actively being made for "that platform", a.k.a. Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0MTA

My pitchfork is ready.

Kickbacks? :P

too bad for them. I wont buy their game. I hope Activision does not have the delusion to think that they are publishing good games enough to motivate people to buy Windows.

Won't happen to me for sure.

Default I suggest protesting boycoting or worse

Pirate their games, use them under wine.
    FU Activision!
    I payed for every Linux title I own or owned.
    I will however lightheartedly pirate their games and play them in wine, providing they run there. I will use every dirty way to do them damage now.
    Hackers, Black Hats, please take note who to f*** up next, same goes to Anonymous.
    Fuc**** As* hats!

Default Prevent or not funding?

Hmm... Exaggerate much?

Lots of games aren't being ported to Linux. That normally means "a company is not paying for a port" not "company is happy to lose money by deliberately not porting".

Now if Activision cancelled a PS3 port of something I'd be getting paranoid...

boycott Activision.

Just looked at their product line and the only title that's of note is Call of Duty, which I'm not interested in myself.

Activision used to have a name since they ventured from Atari, but today they are more or less pushing crud. I can imagine they see supporting Linux as fostering their competitor, Steam and Value due to the current standing points of those companies.

They'll be back to suck up if SteamOS is a major success.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 12-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Hmm... Exaggerate much?

Lots of games aren't being ported to Linux. That normally means "a company is not paying for a port" not "company is happy to lose money by deliberately not porting".

I don't want to be the guy bringing the bad news, it is most likely related with Valve's stance on Linux and some internal political fights (between Valve and Activision). As the development team targeted Linux (as Android) and all platforms excluding Windows are using OpenGL (as most graphics programming is the most difficult part to master today), it is normal to expect Linux to some degree.

The bad part is that not supporting Linux means a missed opportunity for some people to pick Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Hmm... Exaggerate much?

If I understand it correctly, the forum thread states Activion is not funding the game, so they are actually actively preventing the game from being ported to Linux, not just not funding the port (as they are not funding the Windows version either).

Quote Originally Posted by dimko View Post
    Pirate their games, use them under wine.
    FU Activision!
    I payed for every Linux title I own or owned.
    I will however lightheartedly pirate their games and play them in wine, providing they run there. I will use every dirty way to do them damage now.
    Hackers, Black Hats, please take note who to f*** up next, same goes to Anonymous.
    Fuc**** As* hats!
    As much as I dislike their stance, I have to disagree with you.
    1. Steping over copyright is not a valid reaction.
    2. The activision games all suck

Just ignore them, Kotick is a prick anyway.