Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta 1 Looks Great, Performance Is Great

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    The service life of Fedora is measured in months, while RHEL has many years of updates and vendor support.

    RHEL6 which was released in 2010, has production support until 2021, and security fixes until 2024. Fedora 19 will be End of Life in less than a year from now.

    Not everybody needs the latest gee-whiz desktop features and eye candy. We just need a stable supported OS to run our applications.
    Exactly for the reason you said, just came to mention that I would have preferred 3.10 to 3.08, due to 3.10 change to the window's header and menu bar change, has it waste less vertical height, which is a premium, these day, with widescreen everywhere and I am one of the people that actually like GNOME 3, has it has my favorite feature of any DE, automated virtual desktop creation/deletion and I like having a simple interface, has sadly even if by principle I would prefer KDE, in practice it is ill suited for me, has the number of customization, due to OCD reason, drive me insane, thus just make me waste my time.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    You don't need a GUI for a server. You need it for a workstation. I use RHEL6 Workstation both at home and at work.

    RHEL Workstation is the only enterprise grade Linux workstation OS that includes many years of continuous updates and support. Most other distros like Fedora, etc. only update for a year or so, then they expect you to throw it all away and install the next version. They don't even offer an upgrade capability, you have to format your drive and reinstall the new version from scratch. That might work for a student or hobbyist, but does not work for professional use.

    The Ubuntu LTR releases are a notable exception, but I like Red Hat's technical support better, and I'm RHEL Certified so I'm more comfortable using it over a debian-based distro.
    Fedora can be upgraded through yum distrosync since 13 before the more recent tool fedup

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As said in the article, it IS THE SAME hardware.
    The HDD report is different too. Why is that?

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    The HDD report is different too. Why is that?
    The Raven is the USB HDD enclosure that serves as the PTS download cache for storing all the benchmark sources, etc, for PTS to copy from rather than re-downloading. It was simply left plugged into USB port when running the test.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
    sorry if I'm being dumb, but why do you need a GUI on a server? I guess it's handy for managing virtualised guests?
    Some very very large companies pay for desktop support.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iniudan View Post
    Does look nice, just wish it was GNOME 3.10 instead of 3.08.
    True, but it shouldn't come as a surprise - RedHat were never going to ship a version that hadn't even made it into a Fedora release yet...

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    You don't need a GUI for a server. You need it for a workstation. I use RHEL6 Workstation both at home and at work.

    RHEL Workstation is the only enterprise grade Linux workstation OS that includes many years of continuous updates and support. Most other distros like Fedora, etc. only update for a year or so, then they expect you to throw it all away and install the next version. They don't even offer an upgrade capability, you have to format your drive and reinstall the new version from scratch. That might work for a student or hobbyist, but does not work for professional use.

    The Ubuntu LTR releases are a notable exception, but I like Red Hat's technical support better, and I'm RHEL Certified so I'm more comfortable using it over a debian-based distro.
    Fedora does have an upgrade mechanism, as do all the other major distros I'm aware of. Ours is rather a lot more reliable in recent releases than it used to be, as well (actually we wrote a whole new one for F18, and it's working out much better than the old one did).

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    True, but it shouldn't come as a surprise - RedHat were never going to ship a version that hadn't even made it into a Fedora release yet...
    Bit of a pity, though, 3.10 is a really nice GNOME release. But version decisions have to be made for RHEL waaaay ahead of time, and obviously they'd prefer to be safe.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    68

    Default Upstart or systemd?

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta 1 Looks Great, Performance Is Great

    Red Hat this week released the first beta to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7. RHEL 7 is based upon improvements and other work that happened over the past few release cycles in Fedora and is riding on its new enterprise Linux 3.10 kernel. In this article is a first look at RHEL 7 Beta 1 along with our first benchmarks of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 comparing the results to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19564
    Does this release use upstart or systemd?

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bison View Post
    Does this release use upstart or systemd?
    systemd.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •