Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wayland & Weston 1.4 Alpha Released

Default Wayland & Weston 1.4 Alpha Released

Phoronix: Wayland & Weston 1.4 Alpha Released

The first alpha test release of the upcoming Wayland 1.4 with Weston 1.4 reference compositor is now available for testing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU0NTY

Is there a list of all the features he expected? I'm just curious what he wanted and what else X can do that wayland can't. Also, I'm interested in what else Wayland needs to be 100% complete in the eyes of all developers (performance enhancements not included). If Wayland is actually complete enough, I'm really excited to know KDE should be ready for it pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    If Wayland is actually complete enough, I'm really excited to know KDE should be ready for it pretty soon.
    All Blue Systems employees, incl. Martin Graesslin who maintains KWin, are currently working on the KF5 port of the Plasma environment. Wayland support is, AFAIK, not the highest priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Is there a list of all the features he expected? I'm just curious what he wanted and what else X can do that wayland can't. Also, I'm interested in what else Wayland needs to be 100% complete in the eyes of all developers (performance enhancements not included). If Wayland is actually complete enough, I'm really excited to know KDE should be ready for it pretty soon.
    X can draw rectangles and text. Wayland can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    X can draw rectangles and text. Wayland can't do that.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQyMTQ

Still isn't Wayland doing it. And it shouldn't, that's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by mrugiero View Post
    Still isn't Wayland doing it. And it shouldn't, that's the point.
    Thanks for catching my sarcasm.

Any more news on XWayland? It'll be some time (if ever) before everything I want to run, runs on Wayland. Until then XWayland will be the way to get the best of both world. Last I saw XWayland was bumped out the December 1.15 release of the X server. Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by phred14 View Post
    Any more news on XWayland? It'll be some time (if ever) before everything I want to run, runs on Wayland. Until then XWayland will be the way to get the best of both world. Last I saw XWayland was bumped out the December 1.15 release of the X server. Any updates?
    It should be merged in X master in early 2014.

There are two major coming works:

. Improve input handling (for example you can't play a game right now, because the mouse will not work as intended.)
    . Add Present extension support

Also
    . Merge wlglamor to the 'wayland DDX' so there would be an universal wayland DDX.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    All Blue Systems employees, incl. Martin Graesslin who maintains KWin, are currently working on the KF5 port of the Plasma environment. Wayland support is, AFAIK, not the highest priority right now.
    Are you sure that is still the case? Netrunner 13.12 is being prepared for release right now. Is that not developed by Blue Systems employees?