Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: AMD Catalyst 13.12 GPU Driver For Linux Released

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    Because you are very lucky or you are an alien XD
    Hehe, best response ever :-)
    I have always wondered if I live in a different world than other people :-P

Quote Originally Posted by zzarko View Post
    13.12 version is probably the worst version I tried in years, at least on Ubuntu 64bit. Everything works fine after the restart, but after a while, videos don't play anymore (not in vlc, nor in mplayer; xv isn't diplaying anything, x11 works, gl crashes), steam client crashes at startup 8 out of 10 times, and when it starts, it's just flickering garbage in its window. Basically, any game just crashes within fglrx_dri.so Since I have a 7950 card, open source drivers aren't the best solution, but a few more days of this, and I'll try to use them on a regular basis. Absoulte garbage (literary!)...
    Hmm...intresting... I have Ubuntu 64-bit and 7950..and I went from 13.4 drivers to 13.12 version.

I had no problems with the installer (I see that others need a patch to get it to work...I didn't on ubuntu). And now I have no problems at all. THe 13.4 drivers were very stable but I had some problems with waking up from hibernate and poor game performance. Now I have had no problems at all with hibernate and I am gaming DOTA2 with fullhd and everything on high...And I just installed Metro: Last Light and got pretty good perfomance there aswell.

Something probably went wrong when you installed the drivers... Happens to me both on windows and linux sometimes...and both with Nvidia and AMD.

I checked 13.12 with HD6670 on my desktop platform and HD8400 + HD8550M on Kabini based notebook. Both platforms use Ubuntu 13.10. From my tests it looks like:
    1. Dynamic switching from HD8550M to HD8400 cause X crash at startup, so I have to use:
    amdconfig --initial -f -> HD8400 active
    amdconfig --initial -f adapter=all -> HD8550M active (when I switch to HD8400 in CCC, X will crash at startup, thats why I use this method just for HD8550M).
    2. Backlight doesn't work properly too on notebook.

I didn't see other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by grigi View Post
    Why do never get issues like this? I rarely experience inconsistent crashes in anything I do, and have been running on fglrx for over a year after my previous machine had a Nvidia card. I actually experience LESS crashes with fglrx than Nvidia. My notebook has been up 5 days now, in that 5 days I have been using KDE, VLC, Steam (playing metro and psychonauts), multiple suspend & hibernation cycles, and I have experienced nothing distracting.
    I guess someday you'll find out that you've been installing catalyst, but you had an intel gpu all along

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by vein View Post
    I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and I installed the new driver with these instruktions:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12429...-drivers-fglrx

And I had no problems at all with the installation and didn't need no patch to make it work.

I noticed a big differance in performance on dota2....but that said, I had to admit that I only install stable drivers, so haven't used any beta drivers.
    I also upgraded from driver version 13.04 to 13.12 on Mint Maya (based on Ubuntu 12.04) using these instructions and had no problems. I notice major improvements on HalfLife 2. In particular, the anti-aliasing is fixed. With 13.04 any AA setting at all would totally kill the frame-rate, but now I can run 4x AA and keep frame-rate above 50fps at 1200x700 on my pretty modest AMD APU rig (with all other graphics settings maxed out). I'm very pleased

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    I guess someday you'll find out that you've been installing catalyst, but you had an intel gpu all along

I have a netbook somewhere that uses Intel GPU. That works well enough, as long as you don't try to exceed its abilities. Unfortunately it is really easy to do so

I followed all the instruction but when I launch

Code:
    sudo ./ati-installer.sh 13.251 --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy
    it says

Code:
    Error: Distro Version entered incorrectly or not supported, use --listpkg to identify valid distro versions
    and so, when I try to list the available package, with sudo ./ati-installer.sh --listpkg it says

Code:
    =====================================================================
     AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager 
    Unrecognized parameter '' to ati-installer.sh
    This script supports the following arguments:
    --help                                        : print help messages
    --listpkg                                     : print out a list of generatable packages
    --buildpkg [package] [--dryrun]               : if generatable, the package will be created
    --buildandinstallpkg [package] [--dryrun] [--force] : if generatable, the package will be creadted and installed
    --install                                     : install the driver
    Any idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipoussin View Post

Code:
    it says

Code:
    Error: Distro Version entered incorrectly or not supported, use --listpkg to identify valid distro versions
    and so, when I try to list the available package, with sudo ./ati-installer.sh --listpkg it says

Code:
    --listpkg                                     : print out a list of generatable packages
    --buildpkg [package] [--dryrun]               : if generatable, the package will be created
    --buildandinstallpkg [package] [--dryrun] [--force] : if generatable, the package will be creadted and installed
    Any idea ?
    Try using 'sudo sh ati-installer*.sh --buildpkg Ubuntu/saucy' instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipoussin View Post

Code:
    it says

Code:

Code:
    Any idea ?

I downloaded the driver to try this and as the previous person said, you need to use "sudo sh *.run --listpkg" instead. That will tell you that the supported ubuntu-versions are:

Code:
    	Ubuntu/gutsy
    	Ubuntu/hardy
    	Ubuntu/intrepid
    	Ubuntu/jaunty
    	Ubuntu/karmic
    	Ubuntu/lucid
    	Ubuntu/maverick
    	Ubuntu/natty
    	Ubuntu/oneiric
    	Ubuntu/quantal
    	Ubuntu/raring
    	Ubuntu/source
    	Ubuntu/precise
    so...I guess you could use: "Ubuntu/source"...
    ...but that seems like a big typo from them...

25.10. ==> release stream 13.30 branched out ==> unreleased

30.12. ==> release stream 13.35 branched out ==> unreleased

31.12. ==> new master release stream 14.10 ==> ??? :-)