No announcement yet.

Linux Developers Asked To Distance Themselves From RMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The presentation is fake. RMS writes essays and does interviews and public seminars. RMS does not do presentations with slides. RMS does not mass mail media outlets. RMS is "not very optimistic" about Hurd and is already quite happy with Linux because it already solves the problem that Hurd was started to solve. RMS does not use imgur because RMS doesn't usually surf the net.

Comment

Sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Liam Lindholm probably works for a popcorn company.
        My bet is he's a sock puppet controlled by Linux news site editors.

Comment

Originally posted by aigarius View Post
          RMS has always been an impractical idealist. However, things that were considered his feverish dreams are now mainstream. To be able to move forward, there must be people advocating for an ideal world or we will stop approaching it.

While the proportion of GNU code in a modern Linux distribution is not what it was before, still in each Ubuntu or Fedora or even Android, there is far more GNU than Linux. There is a bunch of competing projects that sometimes reduce that, but it is very important to never forget where we came from. The whole closed source saga was posiible, because early programmers simply did not understand the values and global benefits of software freedom that they then had. We must never forget the lessons of software history or we shall be doomed to repeat it.
          Not Android. Google has a strict no GPL in userspace policy. Before Android I thought that the GNU/Linux name was useless since it was implicit in the name Linux. Now that Linux (the kernel) supports multiple userlands ("operating systems") - currently primarily Android and some busybox/uclibc embedded systems (and the interesting Alpine distro), but lots of interesting new development with musl libc, llvmlinux, toybox or sbase/ubase is in the works and will result in a more diverse Linux ecosystem - GNU/Linux or Lignux serves a purpose to more accurately describe the OS.
          Last edited by staalmannen; 24 December 2013, 03:39 AM.

Comment

and no kernel hacker reacted to that mail. Why did phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              As a proud hater of Linux and the FOSS "movement" I think the "Linux is not GNU/Linux" line that the kernel cabal uses it total crap. The OS was always the GNU. The kernel was chosen to be Linux because that's what they was available at the time. It is easy to see that when building an OS, the kernel is not the most challenging part. You can use "Linux" distros with different kernels, namely BSD and Hurd. I'm sure they could use the OpenSolaris kernel if they wanted to or even XNU.
              This. Just this. Anything else is stupidity...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                This. Just this. Anything else is stupidity...
                The stupidity is that there are so called Linux/FOSS haters that bother to follow Phoronix and comment in the forums. A sad existence it must be.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
                  The stupidity is that there are so called Linux/FOSS haters that bother to follow Phoronix and comment in the forums. A sad existence it must be.
                  True.

But, the points he makes are correct. The OS was always, and still is and WILL BE in the foreseeable future, GNU. The only thing "Linux" is the kernel. You can't name an entire OS and its userland based on the name of the kernel....

It is like Windows users would say they use NT. Whether Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, its kernel is NT. But i don't see people saying they are NT users, and various editions of NT are "NT distros"...

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                    Neither was i and i am shocked by the possibility that that presentation on imgur might have actually been written by rms, and not somebody making fun of him.

From the slides:

"BEING RIGHT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEING UNDERSTOOD"

And starting a silly campaign to rename someone else's 20 year old widely used software is more important than arguing about it in a silly forum thread. oh wait
                    I find that sentence about being right to be true. If you are right but don't get understood, then you only have to accept that. If you are wrong and get "understood", then you mislead, which is very bad.

Comment

The alleged author's initials spell out L.O.L.

Comment

Working...
                      X