Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 456

Thread: 5 Months And Still No UT3 For Linux

  1. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Better get on way with linux has China is massively using Linux in it's administration.
    More and more administrations over the world, firms and even end-users are using Linux. Asus is selling it's EEEPC with linux on it.
    AMD is developping an open-source strategy, DELL is selling few computers with linux on it. HP is supporting also Linux.

    Things are changing fast in computer world. Who remembers Altavista ? Netscape didn't survived the IE assault but was the leader on the market. OS/2 from IBM : gone. I don't even talk about game editors : Psygnosis, Gremlins only to remember two great names. They have all gone. Probably because they didn't anticipated enough a market change.

  2. #112
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
    Better get on way with linux has China is massively using Linux in it's administration.
    More and more administrations over the world, firms and even end-users are using Linux. Asus is selling it's EEEPC with linux on it.
    AMD is developping an open-source strategy, DELL is selling few computers with linux on it. HP is supporting also Linux.

    Things are changing fast in computer world. Who remembers Altavista ? Netscape didn't survived the IE assault but was the leader on the market. OS/2 from IBM : gone. I don't even talk about game editors : Psygnosis, Gremlins only to remember two great names. They have all gone. Probably because they didn't anticipated enough a market change.

    Netscape evolved into Firefox/Thunderbird so in a sense they did survive.

    OS/2 is still fairly strong in the banking world as well.

  3. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forge View Post
    Just to make something perfectly clear: THIS IS NOT A PATCH. This is THE release. You have not released the Linux client that was promised, therefore we are nine months in and I have NOT YET BEEN ABLE TO RUN the game I paid ~55$ USD for.

    If the Linux client does not get released, there will be YEARS of bad blood. There will be so much noise from one end of the internet to the other that Epic will wonder why multi-million-dollar advertising campaigns fall flat and their products sit idly on shelves.

    Do not ever forget that while Linux is often maligned, we are also some of the most technically proficient and knowledgeable users around. We may not run Linux 24/7, and we may just be that guy that EVERYONE goes to when things don't work right. You slight me and you'll lose sales not just from me, but also the ~50 people who take my word without question, and likely a great deal more who listen to people who listen to me.

    Linux is a small part of the market, but it's a very very important one. Do not renege on your promises.
    I agree with everything you say, but unfortunately, the reality is that they care much more about the millions of idiotic windows users who cant figure out how not to burn their toast in the toaster than the few thousand tech savvy linux users that only use vi and emacs. Quantity over quality.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    OS/2 is still fairly strong in the banking world as well.
    Use does not equate to production- just because it's being used, doesn't mean it's being SOLD. IBM EOLed it completely. At this point, anyone still on OS/2 is going to have to re-think their stuff over to Solaris, Linux, MacOS, or Windows.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Use does not equate to production- just because it's being used, doesn't mean it's being SOLD. IBM EOLed it completely. At this point, anyone still on OS/2 is going to have to re-think their stuff over to Solaris, Linux, MacOS, or Windows.
    Or just leave the OS/2 boxes chugging away quietly...

    AltaVista was the Xerox PARCS GUI/OS wasn't it?

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    Altavista was the original 800 pound gorilla search engine, backed by Digital Equipment (DEC).

    http://www.altavista.com/

    It took quite a while before Google displaced it.
    Last edited by bridgman; 07-05-2008 at 11:40 AM.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    900

    Default

    It actually was my search engine of choice before Google became what it is today.

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20

    Default

    So why haven't all of you supergeniuses diffed the UT3 Linux server code between the demo and retail and see what is causing the licensing problems? Then we can harass them.

    Any bets on Ageia?

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,610

    Default

    I dont think so, do you know who owns Ageia? For the ignoramus: it's NVIDIA!

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    So why haven't all of you supergeniuses diffed the UT3 Linux server code between the demo and retail and see what is causing the licensing problems? Then we can harass them.

    Any bets on Ageia?
    Binary diffs? Doesn't work...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •