Thread: Qt & Wayland-Powered Hawaii 0.2 Desktop Released

Default Qt & Wayland-Powered Hawaii 0.2 Desktop Released

Phoronix: Qt & Wayland-Powered Hawaii 0.2 Desktop Released

An open-source Christmas present for Wayland users this year is the release of Hawaii 0.2.0, the fresh desktop powered by Qt5 and Wayland...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU1Mjg

But there's no ISO, the download link on their website points to an ISO from May 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    But there's no ISO, the download link on their website points to an ISO from May 2013.
    I came here to look for an answer but only questions

I was looking to see what package manager they use, but could only find this bit of info:
    Maui doesn't have the traditional packages, it offers an innovative update system with point in time recovery and lower bandwidth usage; applications are shipped as bundles (compressed images that don't need to be decompressed).
    Can anyone explain what this means i.e. how this actually works?

Looking at their website, they could have chosen to use a generic looking laptop rather than something highly resembling a mac on their homepage to show the UI IMO. Pretty sweet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDMusic View Post
    I was looking to see what package manager they use, but could only find this bit of info:

Can anyone explain what this means i.e. how this actually works?
    Idk, I can only give some possibilities:
    It is decompressed on run, probably cached in your system storage, so you download whole bundles and run them, no messy files. But that sounds like a potential drawback, so I guess I'm wrong

Looking at their website, they could have chosen to use a generic looking laptop rather than something highly resembling a mac on their homepage to show the UI IMO. Pretty sweet, though.
    That look reminds me of Chromium OS, lol

Hawaii is only the DE, the whole OS is Maui and afaik you have to build it .

https://github.com/mauios/mauibuild
    (or if you want to build only hawaii :
    https://github.com/mauios/hawaii
    )

Default So a new desktop environment built from scratch has been completed

Completed in maybe a sixteenth the entire lifetime of Enlightenment. Maybe because they didn't decide to rewrite everything (twice?) or bother with writing an entire library of foundation software and relied on existing toolkits instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dacresbu View Post
    Completed in maybe a sixteenth the entire lifetime of Enlightenment. Maybe because they didn't decide to rewrite everything (twice?) or bother with writing an entire library of foundation software and relied on existing toolkits instead.
    ...if by complete you mean version .2 and stable but not yet feature complete, then sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    ...if by complete you mean version .2 and stable but not yet feature complete, then sure.
    I haven't see any activity on their repos for a whole month, does anyone know if Hawaii is still being developed?