Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Gordon Makes Linux Version Of 1Password

Default Ryan Gordon Makes Linux Version Of 1Password

Phoronix: Ryan Gordon Makes Linux Version Of 1Password

Ryan "Icculus" Gordon has spent some of his Christmas coming up with a basic, open-source Linux version of 1Password. The 1Password program is a popular desktop and mobile app for generating strong, random passwords and serving as a secure wallet for storing the passwords...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTU1MzI

yum install MyPasswordSafe ftw

I use KWallet + pwgen. KWallet integrates well with both Firefox and all the desktop apps I use.

And I will keep using KeePassX
    But thanks for the work Ryan!

None of those three support synchronisation, which 1Password does. I don't know if this features in Ryan's 1Pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg16 View Post
    None of those three support synchronisation, which 1Password does. I don't know if this features in Ryan's 1Pass...
    Sure does if you use a shared db on something like Dropbox (or my preferred method, ownCloud).

I don't feel that synchronisation is a good idea to begin with. I generally don't want my passwords anywhere near computers other than my own, even if it's stored encrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I use KWallet + pwgen. KWallet integrates well with both Firefox and all the desktop apps I use.

Wait, really?! I had no idea that FF and KWallet could integrate. Is it just automatic or did you install an extension or something?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    I don't feel that synchronisation is a good idea to begin with. I generally don't want my passwords anywhere near computers other than my own, even if it's stored encrypted.
    I think that some sort of synchronization is required for me. If I didn't use dropbox to sync my keepass password list, I'd be much less likely to use it to randomly generate strong passwords for everything. I end up using the generated passwords at work, home, on my phone, etc. But that wouldn't work if I wasn't using synchronization between the systems.

Of course my dropbox account is entirely private, and uses a strong randomly generated password itself, and the keepass file and dropbox account obviously don't share passwords. If someone does manage to grab my DB account, they still have to crack my keepass file. If they're willing to go through that much effort, they could've just as easily hit up my bank/email/utilities/etc directly. My bank and email also require 2-factor authentication, so even if they crack my keepass file, they'd still have to steal my phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyClowers View Post
    Wait, really?! I had no idea that FF and KWallet could integrate. Is it just automatic or did you install an extension or something?
    An extension.