Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coming Soon: Catalyst Control Center - Linux Edition

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    even though is's a much slower card, it is getting nearly fully supported via opensource driver. i'm getting really fed up with ati's fglrx recently, esp on amd64 system :]
    Just hold in there a bit longer...

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    and if their new control center is going to be the same kind of memory hog as on windows, i won't be having second thoughts.
    It won't be.

This month' Windows Catalyst will have the new CCC which much, much reduced memory usage and it's faster.

@Michael: so we have 64Bit fixes in 8.34, interesting

Default CCC Linux

7.4 - April

The Linux Catalyst Control Center is set to be released in this update.
    (source: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=367)

Nice

The article does mention a bunch of OpenGL optimizations too for the windows driver in the coming months, perhaps they'll be included in the linux driver too?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_N View Post
    (source: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=367)

Nice

The article does mention a bunch of OpenGL optimizations too for the windows driver in the coming months, perhaps they'll be included in the linux driver too?
    I would never trust a Windows site with information like that.... really.

The article doesn't mention performance improvement for the linux drivers, only that the control center will be available in April.

The Opengl improvement will be for Vista's Opengl which should make it on par with winxp and Vista's Crossfire support.

Instead of losing their time on a Linux control center, Ati should spend some time improving linux opengl performance and start supporting composite.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would never trust a Windows site with information like that.... really.
    Indeed. However, there might be some truth to it all just the same...

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post
    The article doesn't mention performance improvement for the linux drivers, only that the control center will be available in April.

The Opengl improvement will be for Vista's Opengl which should make it on par with winxp and Vista's Crossfire support.

Instead of losing their time on a Linux control center, Ati should spend some time improving linux opengl performance and start supporting composite.
    Well... Why don't we all tell them this- nicely. You might be surprised at what one might accomplish right at this moment- no telling what finding out that there's a much larger demand than they envisioned could do for things.

Quote Originally Posted by Svartalf View Post
    Indeed. However, there might be some truth to it all just the same...
    Probably not. The information wasn't even on an AMD slide at their site.

Quote Originally Posted by glussier View Post

Yes but Vista is using the Orca rewrite which I assume will also be used on XP and linux (eventually). I'd love to see some performance improvements but I think that some other bugs (AA artifacts, freeze on logout/switch to console etc.) should be prioritized.

But it looks very nice.