Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 56 of 56

Thread: Epic Games Does Suppress Linux Talk

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xav1r View Post
    Steam is DRM, which is about limiting your choice. Linux is free software/open source, which is everything about choice. So both won't go together.
    Free software is about Freedom, even if you choose to renounce to those freedoms under certain circumstances, it remains your freedom to do so. I don't like Steam one bit, but as a delivery system it has proven to be reliable, nothing more.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thetargos View Post
    Free software is about Freedom, even if you choose to renounce to those freedoms under certain circumstances, it remains your freedom to do so. I don't like Steam one bit, but as a delivery system it has proven to be reliable, nothing more.
    Well said, simply put, you don't like it, then don't support it.

    I personally see nothing wrong with steam even with DRM intact. Ideally I wish the world would wake up and software engines and executables would be all be opensource with only the creative content having restrictions placed on it if wished like what id does with it's older engines but we are a long ways from that being accepted as a standard. I can't help but wonder how many less buggy games there would be if that business model was adapted.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    Well said, simply put, you don't like it, then don't support it.

    I personally see nothing wrong with steam even with DRM intact. Ideally I wish the world would wake up and software engines and executables would be all be opensource with only the creative content having restrictions placed on it if wished like what id does with it's older engines but we are a long ways from that being accepted as a standard. I can't help but wonder how many less buggy games there would be if that business model was adapted.
    It would actually be cool if Steam could be "broken down" to its delivery mechanism and its authentication system to be less intrusive. For example, it would be awesome if the web site could be use to authenticate an installation and not require the service to authenticate the copy prior running the program, but use a client as a sorts of e-store client to buy and download games, having the client be open source (to reassure customers about no extra info being sent). I don't think it'll ever happen, but "I'm a dreamer".

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Look at it this way - would you want your movies or music to have to authenticate online before you can use them? The only difference with games is that the PC medium makes it easier to do so, it doesn't make it any more right or consumer friendly. And ultimately, they're not doing it for our sake, and it sure as hell won't curb piracy (Steam games will be, and will continue to be cracked - and these illegit copies will be easier to use because the lack the need to authenticate, ironically). I think the content delivery itself is brilliant, but the authentication serves no purpose.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
    Look at it this way - would you want your movies or music to have to authenticate online before you can use them? The only difference with games is that the PC medium makes it easier to do so, it doesn't make it any more right or consumer friendly. And ultimately, they're not doing it for our sake, and it sure as hell won't curb piracy (Steam games will be, and will continue to be cracked - and these illegit copies will be easier to use because the lack the need to authenticate, ironically). I think the content delivery itself is brilliant, but the authentication serves no purpose.

    Why not? It's more incentive to give people net access where ever they are . In this day and age, a non connected computer is a extremely limited device.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    May 19th, 6 months and still no joy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •