Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Steam Linux Usage Still Roughly Around 1%

Quote Originally Posted by omer666 View Post
    All Windows DLCs are compatible with Linux version. I own all the Painkiller DLCs and I'm currently playing them. In fact, get them as soon as possible as, in reality, they are the where the game's meat is. I paid 2,40 for the main title but paid 20 for the remaining content, and for this price, I'm not disappointed. I own every Painkiller title ever released on physical support (which means I don't own the stupid Redemption and Recurring Evil titles) and to me, Hell and Damnation is the best yet, as it corrects real pacing issues I had with the original titles. You never have a single minute of resting, which is what Painkiller is meant to be. Also the game has been slightly sped up, and the physics feel more solid. Just my two cents.

As for earlier titles, I do agree, but if they did release them on Linux, they would use Wine wrapper anyway. Also Black Edition is priced 10 whereas I got it for 2 on DVD at my local retailer in bundle with Overdose (yet another 5). Same for Resurrection (10 on Steam, again). Not a real great deal if you ask me.
    Okay, thanks. I was wondering if the DLC would work, but then the collector's edition also said Windows only and the total for the DLC isn't cheap. Glad to hear you liked it, since the reviews on Steam seem to not recommend it. Still, most of those reviewers seemed to be missing the DLC, and already played the earlier editions on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kano
    You are defintely correct that serval games have got stupid bugs that prevent em from running directly. In the #kanotix channel on freenode you find the current hacks for !duke3d !garry !dwarfs (f2p) and !shadow (warrior). Those could be fixed VERY easy but even when i write the issues in the steam forum or the tripwire (dwarfs) forum nothing gets fixed. When you have done the startup fixes the games usally run well.
    I'll have to look into it then, since these games don't launch for me with open drivers.

@tbelvin

Those games don't launch at all, no matter what drivers are installed

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    Just install Steam for Windows under wine, then you can get and play your Windows games.
    Yeah I know, but every time I did the result was awful. For example, DooM 3 BFG didn't install at all from the DVD and sometimes Steam crashed on launch. No problem with Linux version, so why bother with bugged software ?

You dont need to use dvds when you have got your games on steam.

survey is kinda... CRAP!!! i got 3 linux computers with steam. and the first time in 2-3 months i actually got to see it to finally know what ppl talk about... sigh, it was when i started wine version of steam which wants to say i'm using win32. if i quit that steam and restart here is survey again, but i can load steam on any linux zillion times... NADA, ZILCH, NOTHING, ZERO...

Quote Originally Posted by efi360 View Post
    I use steam on my linux box ( Which is my main computer ) but untill more popular games are ported over its not much of a draw to use it , For instance I got Tomb Raider and Bioshock infinity when I baught my graphics card but still can't play them on linux side becouse they not ported over to the linux steam client yet. This is in my opinion what is holding linux side steam client adoption back. Maybe this year will move things along faster ... Hopefully.
    don't know about bioshock, but i bought TR collection and playing it trough wine. on my 9800GT tomb raider anniversary is running so smooth and flawless that it puts my ps3 version of same game to total shame. didn't try others yet, but i definitely plan on that.
    p.s. even ps3 controller works out of the box without workarounds

Personally, I don't have Steam because my portable has some Intel 965-class chip, and desktop has like a Geforce 6600. Not too much gaming to be had from those

Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Personally, I don't have Steam because my portable has some Intel 965-class chip, and desktop has like a Geforce 6600. Not too much gaming to be had from those
    You can play Half-Life and Counterstrike on those.

My desktop with its G31 chipset plays CS on Windows under Direct3D fluidly on 720p and 768p. But for some reason under Linux and OpenGL there's some really noticeable stutters and the graphics just look grainy compared to Windows and Direct3D.

Still playable though.

Off-topic rambling: What I really, REALLY want is for someone to find a way to cram a PS3's innards into a notebook chassis so that I can play my jRPGs on the move. The Vita's JRPG lineup is strong but not exactly to my liking.

Start a ps3 emulator

Quote Originally Posted by omer666 View Post
    I agree that porting games using Wine/Crossover in coordination between both teams could be really helpful and would extend Wine's capabilities and compatibility. But you will notice that the games we are dealing with are pretty old and already fully compatible with Wine, so there would be no gain for Wine development whatsoever. Also there is another problem : Steam does not support playing Windows games using stock system Wine installation, not even getting your Windows files for games you paid. This has to be corrected before we can even start to consider Valve as "Wine friendly".
    I'm not sure Valve wants to be "WINE friendly". While it would be great for expanding the available games list, the overall experience will never match up to native games. Which means it will never be better than Windows if they give developers an easy option to use WINE for their ports.

I hope at some point that they do integrate WINE for older games, but they really need to make it a point to not allow it for games newer than 2012 or so. Current games should be native that way they can be up to par or potentially faster than their Windows releases and integrate properly with the system. Personally, I wouldn't mind an SDL2-or-equivalent mandate either... SDL1 is a terrible experience on multimonitor systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash63 View Post
    I'm not sure Valve wants to be "WINE friendly". While it would be great for expanding the available games list, the overall experience will never match up to native games. Which means it will never be better than Windows if they give developers an easy option to use WINE for their ports.

I hope at some point that they do integrate WINE for older games, but they really need to make it a point to not allow it for games newer than 2012 or so. Current games should be native that way they can be up to par or potentially faster than their Windows releases and integrate properly with the system. Personally, I wouldn't mind an SDL2-or-equivalent mandate either... SDL1 is a terrible experience on multimonitor systems.
    I totally agree with you, I was just developing on newwen's suggestion to use Wine to port older Steam titles. System Shock 2 is already doing it this way.